Saw video thread

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are cutting hardwood I agree with you entirely. The 7 pin in hard wood a happy saw makes. I just feel like in work situations with hardwood the extra torque over chain speed is advantageous. Maybe im wrong, but with a stout chain you can load these saws up nice.
Yes, it is exceptionally hard, It's a breed of Aussie Eucaluptus which is both harder and heavier than Osage. Even with a very sharp chain you really need to use the dogs to get the revs to pull down and the chain to bite as it should.

Last edited:

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
2:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, it is exceptionally hard, It's a breed of Aussie Eucluptus which is both harder and heavier than Osage. Even with a very sharp chain you really need to use the dogs to get the revs to pull down and the chain to bite as it should.
I am not well versed in your woods down yonder, but have heard many speak of their hardness. I understand semi chisel holds up much better than full chiz?

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not well versed in your woods down yonder, but have heard many speak of their hardness. I understand semi chisel holds up much better than full chiz?
Yes it does, but I like the speed full chisel cuts at and don't mind sharpening chain! Generally, I run Stihl RM on my long bars as they are more likely to touch the dirt, but RS on everything else. I'm just a firewood hack so time is not a huge issue.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I prefer full chisel square file. Almost all of what I cut is hardwood, but it has NEVER been skidded, and is usually still green, so I understand other folks may have different needs. Also, some people have difficulty getting square file right, it helps to be ambidextrous.

Truth be known I think square file and full chisel round are very close, square just having a bit of an advantage, but both have a big advantage (in clean wood) over semi. If I could not do square just as fast as I do round, I would not bother with it.

However, when milling or noodling, I think square has a bigger advantage, so for me it is worth it, as I use it for everything.

ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Changes the manners of the saw is like two different saws after cutting back the long bottom dogs on a 088/880 for cutting hardwood.

These shorter one's on the 881 look like the go for hardwood.View attachment 268663

Looks like the 881 comes with both long or short? yeah I'll pass on these one's look how thin they are will bend in no time cutting thin bark hardwoods.
I don't know anything about softwoods long dogs like this are probably good for softwoods like douglas fir and thick bark.
View attachment 268664
The 880 will also be delivered with these two different kind of dogs.
It depends on the market, in Europe we will get the one on the first pic. In usa they will most likely get the one on the second pic

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
8 pins can be used in softer woods with the size of the stick being similar vs. Hardwood.
Nothing compares to the petrified Aussie hard wood. Lol

AND....a sharp chain cuts better than a dull chain! [emoji1787]

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
8 pins can be used in softer woods with the size of the stick being similar vs. Hardwood.
Nothing compares to the petrified Aussie hard wood. Lol

AND....a sharp chain cuts better than a dull chain! [emoji1787]
I'd love to stand back and watch you guy's drop ya saw's into some real hard hardwood like this Grey Gum no speed wood here lol
2 (5).jpg

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. No thank you.
But I learn from several good guys from down under. I try to incorporate some of that into cutting our hard wood trees up here. This is the beauty if these forums. Learning from one another.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

You sure got the recipe for these quad-port motors, Mr. K. That one looks like it might give my 385 a run for top of the heap...

Good runner there! Wonder if she would pull through the brake.

I bet it would. My 385 wouldn't have any problem burning up a brake, clutch, and drum while cutting an old car in half.

Hall84

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can’t thank Kevin enough on this saw. Been trying to find one but never any luck. Kevin told me he would find one, and that’s exactly what he did. Not only did he find a Jonsered 2188, but one that had never been oiled or fueled. Thanks a lot Kevin for all your work, I really appreciate you. Give me a couple weeks and I’ll send the 462 your way buddy.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can’t thank Kevin enough on this saw. Been trying to find one but never any luck. Kevin told me he would find one, and that’s exactly what he did. Not only did he find a Jonsered 2188, but one that had never been oiled or fueled. Thanks a lot Kevin for all your work, I really appreciate you. Give me a couple weeks and I’ll send the 462 your way buddy.

I'm insanely jealous...the 2188 is a saw i want but can't afford right now lol

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've found fresh osage cuts pretty well, and doesn't dull chains too fast if they are good quality chains, but cutting dead half dry osage is pretty rough. It feels like the saw grinds away at it, the chips are small and broken, but still chips and not dust. It's just a different cutting experience. I couldn't imaging something harder especially harder AND baked dry in the desert.