Saw video thread

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
6:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The farmers used to plant Sugar Maple and Locust all over the place, and where it is planted, Locust will multiply.

Sugar Maple for Syrup

Locust for Fence Posts - They virtually don't rot, but you need to drill them to attach the wire!

You will often find both trees lining roads and driveways.

Locust can absorb sand from the soil and throw sparks when you try to cut it. Decades ago when my Brother built his house in Garrison NY we had to cut several good size Locust. If you did not cut it up the same day, you had to sharpen your chain ever 3 or 4 rounds. When you first cut it there seemed to be enough sap for lubrication, but not after that.

My Brother loved burning it, lots of heat!
And locust is the preferred wood for moonshiners with wood fired stills. ;)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The farmers used to plant Sugar Maple and Locust all over the place, and where it is planted, Locust will multiply.

Sugar Maple for Syrup

Locust for Fence Posts - They virtually don't rot, but you need to drill them to attach the wire!

You will often find both trees lining roads and driveways.

Locust can absorb sand from the soil and throw sparks when you try to cut it. Decades ago when my Brother built his house in Garrison NY we had to cut several good size Locust. If you did not cut it up the same day, you had to sharpen your chain ever 3 or 4 rounds. When you first cut it there seemed to be enough sap for lubrication, but not after that.

My Brother loved burning it, lots of heat!

If you cut it green and plant the posts ASAP, you can drive staples in somewhat well. Also, a portion of the posts will take root and make new locust trees, sort of a living fence post.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's what I was doing when @huskyboy @RIChevy and @WillG and @SOS Ridgerider were making the videos posted above and cutting / stacking some firewood for our host @paragonbuilder

365 Special w/ blown needle bearings where connecting rod meets crank.
When disassembled and case split, the low end and cylinder made it through unscathed. Needed a new piston.

Completely tore saw down, cleaned, and got a used 371 crank to save money there.
New OEM bearings, seals, gaskets, lines, tank vent, piston (I believe 48mm).
Carb in great shape -- Walbro 12B ? Can't remember number -- Mason would remember.
Gasket delete and squish ended up about 0.018".
Got a bull horn style muffler coming from a guy in Canada who makes some really nice ones welded and painted up nice.

New bar and chain coming as the one on it was abused quite well.

Clutch in great shape (no blueing from abuse) and tonight finally tested it completely assembled, but not in wood -- oiler working as it should and holds tune at 13,600 WOT will probably back it off a bit for break in. Idles and transitions perfectly. Excited to test in wood once new bar and chain and muffler arrive!

i-2xQCdBQ-X3.jpg

i-V9mB89L-X3.jpg

i-69QXXV2-X3.jpg

i-TSPdbJt-X3.jpg

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's what I was doing when @huskyboy @RIChevy and @WillG and @SOS Ridgerider were making the videos posted above and cutting / stacking some firewood for our host @paragonbuilder

365 Special w/ blown needle bearings where connecting rod meets crank.
When disassembled and case split, the low end and cylinder made it through unscathed. Needed a new piston.

Completely tore saw down, cleaned, and got a used 371 crank to save money there.
New OEM bearings, seals, gaskets, lines, tank vent, piston (I believe 48mm).
Carb in great shape -- Walbro 12B ? Can't remember number -- Mason would remember.
Gasket delete and squish ended up about 0.018".
Got a bull horn style muffler coming from a guy in Canada who makes some really nice ones welded and painted up nice.

New bar and chain coming as the one on it was abused quite well.

Clutch in great shape (no blueing from abuse) and tonight finally tested it completely assembled, but not in wood -- oiler working as it should and holds tune at 13,600 WOT will probably back it off a bit for break in. Idles and transitions perfectly. Excited to test in wood once new bar and chain and muffler arrive!

And since this is the "saw video thread" when she hits the wood I'll try and get some footage. Definitely excited to see this thing run even though it has only had gasket delete and bull horn muffler.
It's older w/ unlimited coil which is nice. Also obviously not a strato (xtorq) either.