Saw video thread

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
5:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was out in my shop last night and took another look at the piston, that piston lost the clips from both sides. I'm thinking the oem ones didn't fit down deep enough in the grooves.
I had a hyway piston once that I couldn’t use oem circlips because they didn’t fit in there.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meteor circlip grooves are fatter than OEM grooves. Always use the meteor clips. I know this wasn’t your issue but it’s an observation I’ve made when installing OEM clips in a meteor piston.
The last 372xp OE meteor one ring piston I used, the circlips were a touch thinner than oem. In fact they bent on installation from being weak and I used the oem clips from the old piston. Fit just fine. This is why I always look over AM parts carefully, even a higher quality piece like a meteor piston I give a look over.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The last 372xp OE meteor one ring piston I used, the circlips were a touch thinner than oem. In fact they bent on installation from being weak and I used the oem clips from the old piston. Fit just fine. This is why I always look over AM parts carefully, even a higher quality piece like a meteor piston I give a look over.
Inspection and measurement of everything is important.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad you caught it Mason, just more proof even the most reputable AM parts have variation that OEM “usually” does not.

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went out and pulled the piston out of the cylinder and I guess I was wrong about the gasket failing. It looks like I lost a clip and the piston pin rode out and caught the transfer. Then the broken pieces of the piston got caught between the counterweights and case and broke through onto the oil tank. I'm pretty sure I installed both clips and they were oem.

View attachment 207360
Stuff happens. First saw I ever bought new was a 460 stihl. Ran perfect for 5 years of 15+ cords of firewood a year. Clearing property for my house it decided to eat a circlip and the pin came out and got stuck in the transfer port and completely wrecked the jug. Saw was all stock, never apart at that point.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It might seem stupid but after having a clip pop out with the opening around 9:00/3:00 and destroying a 365 hooskie cylinder... I decided to install them with the opening at 6:00 or 12:00. I think it makes a difference. I could be wrong, but I think the forces can cause the clip to compress open if there around 3:00/9:00. Especially if the circlip is a little weak. Not a expert here... just a chainsaw hack lol.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It might seem stupid but after having a clip pop out with the opening around 9:00/3:00 and destroying a 365 hooskie cylinder... I decided to install them with the opening at 6:00 or 12:00. I think it makes a difference. I could be wrong, but I think the forces can cause the clip to compress open if there around 3:00/9:00. Especially if the circlip is a little weak. Not a expert here... just a chainsaw hack lol.
I always put them in, then spin them around to 12.