Saw builds

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the yellowish small thorns locust is black locust?

Yes sir. I've never cut a honey locust so I don't know what its wood looks like. My friend's in northeast Ohio had gnarly one in their yard though. Big 'ol monster with a huge thorns and a very large split down the middle. Has long since been removed or I'd go find out. Downright scary looking tree though.

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Getting crankin here in mass. Stayed home from work today. 16-20" for here. I'll bet we get 16 at the most. I think the usual overreaction.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hahaha yep. Our 3-5 inches amounted to about 3/8 inch. The grocery stores sure sold lots of milk/eggs/bread though.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hickory always seems tough to cut to me, Black Locust is a very hard wood, but I have seen it not too hard to cut, and very hard to cut. Have been told that it depends on the soil it grows in.

If it grows in sandy soil, and you don't cut it right away, your screwed! Your chain will throw sparks and you will sharpen it every few cuts.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've already plowed 8" and there is a new 2" on the driveway, and it is still coming heavy, so I think we will get the 1-2' they are predicting for us.
LOL! Get your forecast by looking out window. I find looking at radar day of storm best way to decide what to do / decide when storm is over.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How's the storm going Jeff ?
We're getting it pretty heavy right now. We were supposed to get 12 to 18", but they downgraded it to 6 to 10. I guess more rain at the end of the storm than snow. 15 miles to my North, they are still calling for 12 to 18".

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
4:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hickory always seems tough to cut to me, Black Locust is a very hard wood, but I have seen it not too hard to cut, and very hard to cut. Have been told that it depends on the soil it grows in.

If it grows in sandy soil, and you don't cut it right away, your screwed! Your chain will throw sparks and you will sharpen it every few cuts.
Are timber here is very valuable because it grows very slow so it has small growth rings but that also makes it very hard,the pig nut and shag bark are hard to cut down because they kill your chain and that's why nobody cuts them.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, even though I was supposed to go to them, and I did not cancel, all my appts cancelled today, so it is a catch up day. Print & assemble & mail! The joys of a one horse operation! It will be my first open day since 2/1.