High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Round grinder "pink" wheel brand preference.

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I reciently picked up a sweet little Oregon grinder. Wondering if there's any substantial difference between the pink wheel brands. I can see that the fireball brand is about one third less $$$ than the Oregon brand. I'm just wondering if they hold up as well and get some opinions for you guys that have tried them both. From what I've read the CBN / diamond wheels are the way to go if you you do enough chains to justify their cost. Just not the case with me at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, but I can't help but think that that all-important corner would be the first thing to wear out on one.

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll go through the pink ones that came with the grinder and then decide if I want to go CBN or diamond. I do a little chain sharpening on the side with this ad on craigslist,but don't get enough business right now to justify the cost. 10 chains would be a busy month for me. : https://reno.craigslist.org/for/5642249174.html

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Most the guys that know what they're doing like the square I do for them. Still get quite a few that want semi-chisel done , And that's why I spring for the round grinder.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
8:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I buy the Molemab wheels when on sale at Bailey's for about $12.

@Grande Dog says that there is a slight difference in grit / coarseness, compared to the Oregon wheels. In practice, for general sharpening, you probably won't notice it.

Dress the wheels lightly every loop to keep fresh abrasive exposed.

Philbert

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am pretty amazed at how much grinding you can do on a full size pink wheel.... I want a diamond/dinasaw/CBN and will get a couple when my pink wheels wear out. But its taking a lot more time than I anticipated. One exploded on me one day, but wearing them out is not a fast process.

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I am pretty amazed at how much grinding you can do on a full size pink wheel.... I want a diamond/dinasaw/CBN and will get a couple when my pink wheels wear out. But its taking a lot more time than I anticipated. One exploded on me one day, but wearing them out is not a fast process.

Do you think the wheel that exploded on you was due to a factory flaw? Was it a new wheel?

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No I had ground a heap of chain with it & probably dropped it a couple of times when switching out wheels to do bigger/smaller chains. But one day it went boom and shattered. I've read that you should tap your wheels & listen to them. I think there ment to make a high pitch ting and if they sound dull there no good. One thing about files is they are perfectly round at a set diameter, this shape gives correct cutter profile. With grinder wheels dressing the shape of the wheel makes a big difference to your cutters end result. Took me a while to understand the importance of this.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I bought the diamond wheel to avoid ever dressing a wheel.

Same wheel, every time I go out there.

Now I just wish someone made a diamond wheel for square grind.

Ted,
I have a CBN wheel for a 511a I have set up in 3/8.
I stumbled on to a Stihl HOS and bought a Stihl OEM wheel for it. I gotta tell ya....I like the Stihl wheel better then the CBN
haven't figured out why. but its like $12 at the dealer and the chains are scary sharp.
Maybe because its new ? Maybe its the HOS ? I dunno
(the HOS is the fixed angle version of the USG incase anyone is wondering)

super3

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now I just wish someone made a diamond wheel for square grind.

I can machine a blank for you for plating. You are stuck with one profile that way tho.

No changing the angles for different wood or saw hp.