High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Our 243 strory.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Sept 1973 Rob and I were out shooting our Winchester Model 100 308 semi autos. We had the mags installed but not loaded, just drop a round in and release the bolt.

Rob had just did one and all kinds of crap was flying thru the air.

I picked up over 134 pieces of wood and metal parts.

I now had a fear of shooting the model 100 I had so sat about getting rid of it. I went to many a gun shop with the Idea of coming home with a bolt action rifle capable of killing white tail deer and not loose my shirt in the deal.

After about two weeks I found a shop willing to do a nearly equal trade. The Rifle I had was a Winchester Model 100 nice wood very little worn blueing and a Tasco scope 3x9.

Gun shop gun was a Remington model 700 bolt action 243, nice wood and no wear of blueing at all. It had no scope but that could be added later.

Dealer said for me to take the rifle and two boxes of shells home and shot it some to see how I liked it.

I do not remember the ammo bullet weight today, but shooting water bottles pumpkins and other things that blew up I was impressed and did the trade. Dealer and I became friends with that trade.

Fellow I worked with sold cameras, scopes and other glass on the side. I bought a Bushnell 3x9 with BDC rings and rails off him.

The dealer I made the trade with also hunted with a 243 so he recommended a load for deer. Regular rifle primers, IMR 4350 Powder and 100 gr. Round nose bullets.

I loaded up a batch and they seemed to do a good job killing pumpkins so I saved a few for deer season.

I found out deer are not pumpkins and the first deer I shot I tracked drops yes drops of blood nearly 300 yards to find the dead deer. I became unimpressed with the 243 for deer, went and ordered a brand new Remington 700 in 308 since I still had ammo left.

I bought another Bushnell. 3x9 BDC scope look thru mounts and rails from the guy at work. That became my deer rifle the 3d rifle I now owned.

Thanks giving day We were out hunting, we were my self, brother and new brother in law. It was close to dinner time so were headed up to Robs jeep and go home for Turkey and foot ball. A doe came by us and didn’t look right, then we saw the neighbor guy, a hypocrite. Said to us why didn’t you shoot the deer, because it was a doe, your so anti doe hunting why are you trailing her. I thought she was a buck and shot her so she is wounded. Told us he was done chasing her now that he knew she was a doe.

We went on home and had dinner but no foot ball. We went back and started tracking that doe. Tracked her a long way finally jumping her once but could not get a shot off.

The neighbors son caught up with us. We jumped the deer again and the kid shot the deer, bang flop she is down.

I asked what he was using, said a Savage something in 243 hand loaded 85 gr. Bullet.

That stuck with me.

Nearly a year later I had a accident and had some bad head trauma so the doctor at work would not allow me to work for a while.

This was during labor day week, every one else working so I decided to play with different loadings for the 243 all 85gr bullets.

Settled on the 85gr Serra HPBT bullets over top of IMR 4350 powder.

You did not have to mash potatoes just shoot them with that round.

Finally Robs settlement with Winchester was finished and he could not only get a pocket full of cash but any rifle they made. He got a Winchester model 70 bolt action in 243 4x12 red field scope.

He also used the same recipe for his hand loads of course we lived together so one of use was always loading some thing shoot shells, rifles or pistols.

My hunting partner Rick also bought a Savage rifle in 243 and use the same round. He got the package deal scope which turned out to not be much. We were shooting a lot of crows then.

I bought my dad a Rugar 77 tang safety rifle in 243 3x10 Simmons scope so on a week end we would get together to shoot for fun. So there we are 4 guys with 4 different brands of rifles scopes and shoot into our hill side where we put targets all different types cause the water filled stuff went quick.

Soon Rob and Rick would get to betting on who could hit the closest to dead center of a milk jug cap or shoot a water bottles cap off with out hurting the bottle.

I have no idea how many crows we shot with the 243’s, deer, wood chucks, Rick shot a bear in Canada with his.

Rob and I shot a lot of snow shoe hare in March near the end of the season with ours.

We love our pea shooters.

I still have my Remington, Dads Rugar too. One ofRicks grand sons got his when he passed and Robs daughter got his before he passed.

I have no Idea who will get mine when I am gone. My son doesn’t hunt nor is his son interested either. My daughters son isn’t interested either.

So If I do not find any one before my time is up Kare will do with them as she wishes.

Remington 700 308.

Remington 700 243,

Al

ktmtigger

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Those look nice and I bet they shoot great. I have never shot a 243 do they punch the shoulder much at all?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Savage Axis 243. The kick should be the same as 308. I haven't hunted with it, but I dropped a deer quick enough with a 62gr .223 @ maybe 180yds. The bullet went right to the heart, but it ran 20-30yds still.

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
5:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I saw my father in law shoot a nice running buck thru the heart with a .30-06, the buck went end over end, got back up and went 450 or so yds. before pileing up dead.
FIL. showed us the heart with bullet hole.