Oregon 620 grinder is wedged

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tonight I was using my Oregon 620 grinder and it was working fine, but then all of a sudden it ended up stuck. Somehow the grinding wheel and arm came up but the hydraulics didn't release the chain so it's stuck in there. I also can't lower the arm - it goes about 1/4 of the way and then halts. It feels kind of like the hydraulic pressure is holding it from going down more.

Has anyone seen this before? If not I'll call Oregon on Tuesday. In the mean time, I have no grinder and it's holding my chain hostage. Lovely.

If I could to back in time I would most definitely not purchase this grinder. I've never been able to produce chains that cut as well as manual filing, and sharpening chains with the grinder isn't nearly as fast as I though it would be (if you want them sharpened well). And now, after about 10-15 uses, it sh!t the bed on me. Ah well, live and learn.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tonight I was using my Oregon 620 grinder and it was working fine, but then all of a sudden it ended up stuck. The grinding wheel and arm is up but they hydraulics didn't release the chain. It's stuck and won't come out. I also can't re-lower the arm. It goes about 1/4 of the way and then halts - it feels kind of like the hydraulic pressure is holding it from going down more.

Has anyone seen this before? If not I'll call Oregon on Tuesday. In the mean time, I have no grinder and it's holding my chain hostage. Lovely.

If I could to back in time I would most definitely not purchase this grinder. I've never been able to produce chains that work as well as manual filing, and the grinder isn't nearly as fast as I though it would be. And now, after about 15 uses, it's broken and holding my chain hostage. Bah.
Look up at the top of the hydraulic cylinder and see if the pin has slid out. Not sure that would cause the issue but just popped into my head.

41FanForLife

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a fitting on the hydraulic line you could loosen to let the vise relax? I'm not sure if it works that way. Just throwing out the first thing that came to mind .

Last edited:

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a fitting on the hydraulic lime you could loosen to let the vise relax? It sure if it works that way. Just throwing out the first thing that came to mind .
I wouldn't do that as it may let air in or drain fluid out. Either one would land you in my position with mine.

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Look up at the top of the hydraulic cylinder and see if the pin has slid out. Not sure that would cause the issue but just popped into my head.

Yeah, the pin was out a bit so I slide it back in. No luck.

I removed it entirely and now the arm go up and down, but changes nothing.

I tried pulling the arm down, and then pressing the pin in, but it won't go. I can't see anything that's going on in there because it's covered with a plastic sheath. I guess I'm going to have to take it all apart tomorrow so I can see how it works and what's going on in there. Pffft.

41FanForLife

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't do that as it may let air in or drain fluid out. Either one would land you in my position with mine.
Ok. Don't listen to me. I've ground a total of 1 chains in my life. LOL. Maybe I should just stick with a file.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, the pin was out a bit so I slide it back in. No luck.

I removed it entirely and now the arm go up and down, but changes nothing.

I tried pulling the arm down, and then pressing the pin in, but it won't go. I can't see anything that's going on in there because it's covered with a plastic sheath. I guess I'm going to have to take it all apart tomorrow so I can see how it works and what's going on in there. Pffft.

I’ll go down to the shop this evening for you and get you some pictures of the fix I came up with to make sure this problem doesn’t happen again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’ll go down to the shop this evening for you and get you some pictures of the fix I came up with to make sure this problem doesn’t happen again.

Does it involve JB Weld?

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tonight I was using my Oregon 620 grinder and it was working fine, but then all of a sudden it ended up stuck. Somehow the grinding wheel and arm came up but the hydraulics didn't release the chain so it's stuck in there. I also can't lower the arm - it goes about 1/4 of the way and then halts. It feels kind of like the hydraulic pressure is holding it from going down more.

If I could to back in time I would most definitely not purchase this grinder. I've never been able to produce chains that cut as well as manual filing, and sharpening chains with the grinder isn't nearly as fast as I though it would be (if you want them sharpened well). And now, after about 10-15 uses, it sh!t the bed on me. Ah well, live and learn.

ca0144c68bc5e6dbe9c5277a1040ea96.jpg

7c9bf880b019bd514cfd220de3156f35.jpg

a3e6f534651b8d31e31ead50b63a209f.jpg

fef38c9e58d1c647aefe9c1a7156038f.jpg

c159241b7902a7351de2a0ee11b07aa8.jpg

Where I’ve had issues are the pin that goes through the mount to the head that’s been replaced with a bolt as well as the pin that goes through the shield to the cylinder. That pin that goes through the shield requires some messing around to get back into its bore it required a set of needle nose vise grips moving the head as well a small straight pick to use as a line up tool.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
ca0144c68bc5e6dbe9c5277a1040ea96.jpg

7c9bf880b019bd514cfd220de3156f35.jpg

a3e6f534651b8d31e31ead50b63a209f.jpg

fef38c9e58d1c647aefe9c1a7156038f.jpg

c159241b7902a7351de2a0ee11b07aa8.jpg

Where I’ve had issues are the pin that goes through the mount to the head that’s been replaced with a bolt as well as the pin that goes through the shield to the cylinder. That pin that goes through the shield requires some messing around to get back into its bore it required a set of needle nose vise grips moving the head as well a small straight pick to use as a line up tool.

Never had or heard of these problems, yet. Should I clean up mine and do some update before ..it happens? ... shhh

About to grind about a couple hundred cutters. The grinder is cleaned up :D

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never had or heard of these problems, yet. Should I clean up mine and do some update before ..it happens? ... shhh

About to grind about a couple hundred cutters. The grinder is cleaned up :D

Maybe I got the luck of the draw but it’s nothing I need happening we do about 1400 to 1900 drivers worth of chain a sitting per week.

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the tips everyone.

I got it working again. All I needed to do was put the pin back, but it was impossible to do without some disassembly because you can't see what's going on inside the sheath.

I took a snap ring off the top pin and removed it, then removed the sheath. The piston had rotated a bit so there was no I was getting in that hole by blindly poking around (that's what she said?)

Putting the top pin back in was not as easy as you'd think. The lock rings don't snap into a groove. They just sit on a smooth pin. You have to slide them on from the end. I wouldn't think that has much lateral holding power... but what do I know.

I'm any case. I'm back in action. Thanks!

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the tips everyone.

I got it working again. All I needed to do was put the pin back, but it was impossible to do without some disassembly because you can't see what's going on inside the sheath. I took a snap ring off the top pin and removed it, the removed the sheath.

The piston had rotated a bit so there was no way blind poking around what's getting in that hole (that's what she said?)

Putting the top pin back in was not as easy as you'd think. The lock rings don't snap into a groove. They just sit on a smooth pin. You have to slide them on from the end. I wouldn't think that has much lateral holding power... but what do I know.

I'm any case. I'm back in action. Thanks!
Glad to hear it! I just replaced the hydraulic unit on mine and had the pin slip out. Thats why that came to mind when you asked. I lost one of the clips so mine still has a chance of slipping out.

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh man, why did your hydrolic pump need replacing?

I'm sorta wishing I had bought the manual lock version. If you're not careful the hydrolic can lock the chain in a slightly raided position, which completely changes the cut. So I find myself using one hand to hold the cutter while I lower the handle until its locked. I'm not sure turning a lever to lock it would be much slower and it would certainly be more reliable.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'm sorta wishing I had bought the manual lock version. If you're not careful the hydrolic can lock the chain in a slightly raided position, which completely changes the cut. So I find myself using one hand to hold the cutter while I lower the handle until its locked. I'm not sure turning a lever to lock it would be much slower and it would certainly be more reliable.
I bought my grinder used and it didn't clamp tight enough. After going through the process to add fluid 4 or 5 times I decided to buy the new unit. The ebay seller assured me the unit comes pre filled with fluid. What a lie! There is a nice video from Oregon showing how to replace the unit and fill it. I still had issues. Last week my daughter Sarah and I added more fluid and continued to bleed the system. I finally have the piston moving but probably needs bled a little more before it will clamp the chain tight enough.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

With any grinder you need to have back pressure on the chain well grinding. Now that said yes the hydraulic vise is a lot faster your taking a whole step out of the process.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's much faster imo with the hydro vice. Had four grinders so far. My stuff looks tight. Clips are both on. What led lightbulb will fit these?

TNason01

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have noticed on mine that the front rail sits about 0.7mm lower than the rear/clamping rail, which made the chain sit crooked when aligning and when clamping, so i had to shim it up a bit to sit level while clamped.