Root Grapple vs. Root rake Grapple

Gary Courtney

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1708609322265.pngLooking at grapples and was looking for advice on choosing the best attachment for picking up logs. I am leaning towards this one.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
9:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those grapple arms can be twisted pretty quickly. You see people bending the side plate of the growsers by hitting something solid with the outside point or slapping the side plate against something.

I see some manufactures putting a HP rating on the grapples.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Didn’t know that , seems like they had good product. Thanks for the info,
just dont send money until you know for sure
i have a set of forks for john deere 200 mount i bought years ago from them
good product but maybe management mishandled

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
from what i hear that company may be going out of business

From what I read in a few newspaper articles, they are in some big multi million dollar, legal battle with the general contractor that built their new 100,000 sqft shop, that they can't get a CO permit on and move in to. Bunch of other crap also, from what EA posted on social media, I think they are going tits up. Ted has one of his 5.5m lake houses up for sale.

I wanted to buy something from them last fall, they wanted full payment up front, 5-6 month lead time, before said item would be ready to ship. I passed on that idea.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From what I read in a few newspaper articles, they are in some big multi million dollar, legal battle with the general contractor that built their new 100,000 sqft shop, that they can't get a CO permit on and move in to. Bunch of other crap also, from what EA posted on social media, I think they are going tits up. Ted has one of his 5.5m lake houses up for sale.

I wanted to buy something from them last fall, they wanted full payment up front, 5-6 month lead time, before said item would be ready to ship. I passed on that idea.
i did not know all the details just giving a warning to a possible buyer

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i did not know all the details just giving a warning to a possible buyer

I only know what I read, and from what little EA has posted on social media. It does not sound very good for them.

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have never really used them in a mill yard setting, but the ones with seperate top arms can get out of phase with each other and become very annoying. I can't think of the brand now, but my boss bought an absolute unit of a root grapple. It's one of the ones with bucket teeth on the lower spars.

Here's a pic I found...Paladin brand. Used to be Bradco. Possibly overkill, but I think you gotta try in order to tear one up.

1708636852840.png

Dicky

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dang I didn’t know that about EA. I almost bought (should have) a used EA core aerator. It was used twice, looked new and was 1/3 of the new cost. That was a super solid looking attachment. Their toothbar was insanely evil looking.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those grapple arms can be twisted pretty quickly. You see people bending the side plate of the growsers by hitting something solid with the outside point or slapping the side plate against something.

I see some manufactures putting a HP rating on the grapples.
THIS! I have a bent grapple from employees using it the wrong way, lol.

Reactions: Lnk

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What sort of machine will you be using it on ? I purchased a Virnig V60 tine grapple and it’s an absolute beast.

I’ve used it on my S185 ……
IMG_0289.jpeg

It’s happiest on the S300 though and I haven’t been able to destroy it yet. It weighs 1,400lbs and was $3.75/lb lol.
2023-05-13 17.26.59.jpeg

On the Deere 2038r I went a different direction and got a set of pallet forks and an add on grapple. It’ll get used to hold wood up so I don’t have to bend over to cut it to firewood length and I’ll use the skiddy and grapple to do anything this in incapable of. This is a stock photo, not mine but is just like this.
IMG_0413.jpeg

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
… the ones with separate top arms can get out of phase with each other and become very annoying.
I’d love to learn about something new if it exists but I’ve never heard of that being a problem.

I’ve owned a few grapples over the years and they’ve all been the dual clamp style and I’ve never had that issue. The beauty of the separate top arms is that they can clamp odd shaped loads and when made to open and close all the way they get back in “phase”.

FTG-05

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 408722Looking at grapples and was looking for advice on choosing the best attachment for picking up logs. I am leaning towards this one.
You don't need a 60" or wider grapple to pick up logs. In fact, the heavier the grapple, the less the log you'll be able to lift and carry.

About 7 years ago, I planned to buy a 60" grapple for my ~40hp Kubota; they were out, but they had 48" and 72" (and up). I knew 72" was too big, so I got the 48". Never regretted it. I know I would have regretted getting a larger and heavier grapple.

Heavy loads:

IMG_20200502_122746179 (Large).jpg

IMG_20200505_153158353 (Large).jpg

This giant Shagbark Hickory came within 4" of hitting our house. This is as far as I could lift this log; the tractor simply wouldn't lift it any higher:

IMG_20200506_154018910 (Large).jpg

The trunk of a Maple I took down the other day; most of this tree went to my BIL.

IMG_5179 (Large).JPG

I hope this helps.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
End use makes a difference...

It’s all about the size of the machine..

Carr ain’t wrong...