Recent Wood Score Post your Pics Thread

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes thanks for the reply it’s good too hear all the differences from country too country
And too be honest it would be quicker if I could cut longer firewood

below is my fireplace insert stove it’ll take a 12” log but iam geared up too cut
8” - 10” for the customers and log nets

View attachment 357778
That adds up to a whole lot more bucking cuts for you Andrew, that translates to a lot more sharpening too. I cut all my wood to 20”, that includes all the wood I give away.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
12:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My pickup truck has a 6-foot box and holds just over a half cord. I cut 16" to 18' lengths so that I get four rows in going across the bed. That usually means about 360 splits or 90 in each row. Cutting them 10" long would require at least seven rows or 650 logs to fill it, perhaps 700 depending upon log girth.

That's likely nearly another hour of work to get the loading and unloading jobs done and something else to think about when you consider cutting short lengths.

Last edited:

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
6:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My pickup truck has a 5-foot box and holds just over a half cord. I cut 16" to 18' lengths so that I get four rows in going across the bed. That usually means about 360 splits or 90 in each row. Cutting them 10" long would require at least seven rows or 650 logs to fill it, perhaps 700 depending upon log girth.

That's likely nearly another hour of work to get the loading and unloading jobs done and something else to think about when you consider cutting short lengths.

Thanks I can’t disagree with this you got me a thinking

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought the same, should be charging more for extra work and handling.
Interesting thought. A cord of wood cut to 20" lengths would be less than a cord of wood cut to 10" lengths; even though it is still just a cord of wood. It makes sense due to the extra labor involved

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry guys, I made a typo. My truck has a 6-foot bed, I corrected the OP. I rarely make this mistake when I describe my truck. I'm not sure how I would ever get a half cord of logs into a truck with a 5-foot bed unless I stacked it above the cab and said a few prayers. Here's how one guy loaded a full cord:
upload_2022-12-12_10-44-27.jpeg
not recommended. :eek: Note how many shorties are on board. Wonder what pressure the tires were at to support this load. 120 psi?

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guys in Maryland really do a great job taking care of their trucks. Good show!

That short chariot wheel stock can make good kindling. I used to throw it away or leave it, but my wood stove loves those chunks that I make with it. You can make four to six chunks apiece with those chariot wheels. When dry, they burn hot. :)

I saw a lot

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last Sunday took a day trip to a fellow hoarder's place in Iowa as I think he got tired of me whining about not having hedge around here. Lefty and I took his dump trailer down so this kind individual could load us up with some fine BTU's. I would say who it was, but he doesn't want to be known as a nice guy, his words, so I will just call him mister Bear.
Thank you, kind sir, and hope I can repay the favor sometime.
Edit for typo.

Attachments

• JB wood fence.jpg
    JB wood fence.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Skidsteer 1.jpg
    Skidsteer 1.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Skidsteer 2.jpg
    Skidsteer 2.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Skidsteer 4.jpg
    Skidsteer 4.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last Sunday took a day trip to a fellow hoarder's place in Iowa as I think he got tired of me whining about not having hedge around here. Lefty and I took his dump trailer down so this kind individual could load us up with some fine BTU's. I would say who it was, but he doesn't want to be known as a nice guy, his words, so I will just call him mister Bear.
Thank you, kind sir, and hope I can repay the favor sometime.
Edit for typo.

Lol, ;)