High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Price per ton for 57 clean gravel in your area?

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
7:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
oh yeah 1 more thing, tell the driver you wanna see a load slip from the pit before you pay him for 20 tons in an old truck that doesnt have a tag axle, I find it pretty unbelievable that hes hauling 20 tons in that thing

+1. You get the ticket. Always. They get four of them. You should get at least 1. Most jobs the driver keeps one, the contractor gets one, the owner gets one and the inspector gets one.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here 15 tons is a standard load hence why I was puzzled by the picture of the tandem Louisville saying it hauled 22 tons.

No way in hell here.

FTG-05

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here 15 tons is a standard load hence why I was puzzled by the picture of the tandem Louisville saying it hauled 22 tons.

No way in hell here.
RIF. ;)

Arcticmiller

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the box of that dumptruck would literaly have to be filled to the brim to hold 20 tons, typical 12 yard dump box hauls 15 tons to be road legal and thats with a tag axle, that truck with no tag would probably only haul 12-13 tons legally on MT highways.

not sure what spec material is #57, I have heard of type 51 engineered gravle with vegetable oil mixed in to help with dust and compaction.

locall a ton of 1 1/2 minus is going for $16 bucks a ton if I haul it myself, If I have it trucked in it costs me $450 for 15 tons delivered, so $30 a ton delivered 7 miles from the pit.

we dont have much granite around here its all shale, so the type of rock might be a factor in price.
When building the Dalton highway in Alaska there’s a quarry/gravel pit every 10 miles -if I remember correctly on the distance. Trucking it any further and it was cost prohibitive to build the road. It’s a bit mind boggling that it pencils out as cheaper to even drill/blast, and crush rock than to haul it farther on a project of that scale.

That adds nothing of substance to the conversation except to say gravel is cheap if you do t have to haul it.

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need a guess of 200 belly dump loads for a lot I am covering this summer. My belly dump holds about 20 yards. Here there are no quarry’s to buy from. The goberment thinks they own all the gravel sources here and don’t want to share

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the box of that dumptruck would literaly have to be filled to the brim to hold 20 tons, typical 12 yard dump box hauls 15 tons to be road legal and thats with a tag axle, that truck with no tag would probably only haul 12-13 tons legally on MT highways.

not sure what spec material is #57, I have heard of type 51 engineered gravle with vegetable oil mixed in to help with dust and compaction.

locall a ton of 1 1/2 minus is going for $16 bucks a ton if I haul it myself, If I have it trucked in it costs me $450 for 15 tons delivered, so $30 a ton delivered 7 miles from the pit.

we dont have much granite around here its all shale, so the type of rock might be a factor in price.
57 is basically washed 3/4 of any crushed rock type everywhere I've been. It's your all purpose rock. Concrete aggregate, driveways, drains.........

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speaking of gravel. Saw gravel being handmade in Nepal mid 90s. Hundreds of workers spaced out on a massive gravel/rock bar along the river, breaking one rock at a time with a hammer, throwing each piece on a pile depending on size. Little trucks going around hand loading off the piles.

Mack 880

Happy to Stihl be Here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll get you the numbers from my last quote.

I got a little better price because that purchase order was something like 100,000 tons and was locked in from 2020, but I can come up with the right amount of escalation.

Is it $75/ton delivered?

Yep, $75.00/ton delivered. About 10 miles, but I don't know about road limitations on weight. It's mostly interstate, 4 lane, and then 1/2 mile of neighborhood road (asphalt paved, with concrete based).

I need to look at some of these trucks closer. No way the one guy is getting that much in his two rear axle dump truck (and says he is going to bring 20 tons per load).

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
57 is basically washed 3/4 of any crushed rock type everywhere I've been. It's your all purpose rock. Concrete aggregate, driveways, drains.........

3/4 nominal is a #67 gradation in most states😉

Mack 880

Happy to Stihl be Here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really don't care about the type of rock, as long as it meets building code for concrete base course/subgrade.

Just needs to be this size (#57 clean) for our area per local city building inspector.

Concete 1907_1.jpg

I'll dig up ( :D ) the spec on the base course just to confirm

Mack 880

Happy to Stihl be Here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Screenshot 2024-06-14 083657.jpg

I know it says basement but I was directed to this requirement.

So the size is determined by the sieve and I guess that's why the requirement is 57 clean. Looks like for my garage slab I will need 8" depth of base course.

I'm going to talk with a structural engineer I have worked with in the past on this. If he signs off on the prints/specs, the inspector should pass the build.

I'm installing a lift so the pad will be 6" thick in most areas, and where the lift is going it will be 12".

The build is a two car garage (32x36) with ADU above it. So I have to meet different building codes than if I were building just a garage by itself.

Last edited:

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need a guess of 200 belly dump loads for a lot I am covering this summer. My belly dump holds about 20 yards. Here there are no quarry’s to buy from. The goberment thinks they own all the gravel sources here and don’t want to share
Living along the river we have many quarries but none are close. Here it is nice gray Limestone but you get 50 miles north and they get into that ugly brown stuff that resembles Sandstone. Now we most certainly have Sandstone cliff here but no one messes with them other than to carve "Jimmy loves Susie" into them. I used to have some pictures that dated back to the late 1800's of them.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is two loads of 2.5" minus.........yeah it was almost all minus.

1718405162000.png

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is river rock here albeit tiny ones.

1718405280258.png