jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
1:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh how times have changed! Compared to my 394 they are quite close in physical size ,Its a large saw. They really could have expanded on this platform.

Yeah, it was the old-school faller crowd since these saws came out in the late 80's and there were still a lot of guys in the woods running 056s and 2100s. Even the "lightweight" 064, which was a revolutionary falling saw when it came out, got a chilly reception from the hardcore old-school guys.

This is a good platform - they also had the Partner 660/Poulan Pro 445 on this same chassis which had a 50mm bore and quad transfer ports like a 372.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
1:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 331795
A new outer felling spike was fitted.
Those look like they have the same tooth pattern as the HD 371 West Coast spikes @jacob j. sent me for my 372W, and the holes are also similar to the J-red 2094 dogs. Kinda funny to think of the 371, 2094, and PP475's all being produced in the same general time period. I still think of the 372 platform as being a "new" saw, and Poulan/true J-red saws are all antiques like David Bradley's. This saw made me realize/re-remember that US companies were still trying to compete with the Swedes, Germans, and Japanese up until not that long ago.

Old Grouchy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know nothing of this saws previous repairs or life.
I kind of thought it would be a single ring piston.
But also some of the replacement oem parts might have changed, the inner bar plate is a regular husqvarna and does not look like the original, oem parts ordered through parts tree.

Quite a few of these saws got toasted because of being leaned out when guys didn't realize they were trying to tune with a rev limited coil. In fact the green coils were limited to I think it was 10K. Easy to put a Husky non limited coil on them,

I have been told a bb Husky piston will work but I don't remember which one. Also a Stihl 064 (which is a 2 ring piston) can have the pin bosses widened to work as well and those give very high compression.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those look like they have the same tooth pattern as the HD 371 West Coast spikes @jacob j. sent me for my 372W, and the holes are also similar to the J-red 2094 dogs. Kinda funny to think of the 371, 2094, and PP475's all being produced in the same general time period. I still think of the 372 platform as being a "new" saw, and Poulan/true J-red saws are all antiques like David Bradley's. This saw made me realize/re-remember that US companies were still trying to compete with the Swedes, Germans, and Japanese up until not that long ago.

My 1995 54cc Poulan made Craftsman 3.3 use the same part # Husqvarna bearings & seals as the 372xp.

Last edited: