High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Post up your ported cylinder Artwork

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
My pics suck looking at them on a bigger screen.
Didn't even have my glasses on. Misplaced them early this morning before daylight, mfer.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was posting as you were posting Kevin. I don't disagree with you, but I don't have a right angle grinder, and getting into the transfer ports is not easy.

I see the Bridge ports as an alternative, especially on poorly ported AM cylinders, but they seem to work effectively on some OEM cylinders also.
Yeah I have come across posts/videos of reputable builders using bridge ports and wondered the same thing? I mean these guys obviously know more than I do and the featured saw looked very strong so unless it was a wildly elaborate scheme the bridge port must have some value?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah I have come across posts/videos of reputable builders using bridge ports and wondered the same thing? I mean these guys obviously know more than I do and the featured saw looked very strong so unless it was a wildly elaborate scheme the bridge port must have some value?
They do if you just want to increase volume a bit. The proper time and area gives better returns imo. I used bridge ports twice.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A Bridge port will not change the port timing or blowdown.
"true"

It provides additional volume to the transfer flow "YUP"

and directs that additional volume above the intake port "HORSESHIT!!!"

The "new" trend seems to be not to use them, but several builders did use them in the past, and a lot of those saws ran quite well.[/QUOTE
I don't think it directs chit Mike, period.

It is on the bottom of the port in a dead *f-wording hole. I'm not going to explain that. It adds volume to a *s-wordy low pressure pocket created by the short turn. *f-word... porting 101 Mustang. You don't understand air flow let alone wet flow. Not sure I ever will myself. Get a prob and stick it in there. Then tell me more about that area.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's how Walker's was doing their dual-transfer port cylinders for a long time. They weren't always the strongest motors around.
Then that is who did this one that came from WI or MI on a used saw.
The thing was teeerrible once I removed the carbon and got into it. The upper location pin fell out of the ring land. The intake floor was slanted just like the exhaust port. I ask several people who did it. No nothing. If it sucks on a stock block the stroked one might like it. 80/119/9?6-8 is where it stands now. The intake is maxed out imo 30 @ the skirts. The transfers should do well on the mill. Whole different thing there. It will eat rings on the exhaust side because it's flat. I arched the plating best I could.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks JJ

They might have been doing this for long bar saws to gain low end pull is my best guess or this was a cheap copycat. One way to find out. Their port job may have been dicked with.
These pics don't lie. I have the piston it came from all bagged out. The second ring was near 0.120 and the top one was 0.160+
No... that is not a typo. I got the rings somewhere here.20210601_172558.jpg

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like dis
My pics might suck
It was aready trashed so no harm done.
When u got into the ports they were worse than expected. Not machined View attachment 296618 View attachment 296619 View attachment 296620 View attachment 296621 View attachment 296622 yet.
This one might have been trimmed a bit on the bottom to set up a base plate. It looks that way to me from seeing it again today. Whole pile of jugs in a box on that bench.
Are you saying you ground those with no forethought of flow or direction?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Are you saying you ground those with no forethought of flow or direction?
No

I'm saying they were horribly done and I tried to fix them.

The saw was already ported when it came here.
We did a light base cut fitting up to the lathe.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you really want to fark around with this theory. Put the saw together and run it as is.

Pull it apart and completely fill the secondary side of the lower to match the tunnel pointed toward intake. I showed a pic of this earlier in the thread.

Last edited:

NightRogue

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's how Walker's was doing their dual-transfer port cylinders for a long time. They weren't always the strongest motors around.
Looks like whoever did that is trying to match the case profile? Maybe bottom of the case has an aggressive bend, it might feed better
4a419bc9e815576c299ac6597652f575.jpg

Sent from my INE-LX2r using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

In response to Lightning's post above:

I guess we are free to disagree. I'll refrain from the cuss words.

ZukiRyder400

Breaker of recoils
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had an ideaification today. On the Jonsered 930 Supers, they had a closed port/ bottom feed design and they supposedly ran pretty strong. I’ve been thinking about duplicating that onto a 266 that I have. But in order to get the full effect, I would have to mod the cases too.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i did that on a 5000 cylinder and a 181 cylinder. just for racing, not sure blowing out the bottom of a side fed cylinder would be any kind of benefit unless youre goin for power at max rpm over all else. at least if im thinking of the same thing ur talkin about