Post up your ported cylinder Artwork

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you using a stone or a carbide burr to cut your ports?

Carbide. Sometimes I get a good finish and polish from there, but seemingly randomly the carbide bit won't get the good finish I'm looking for. Sometimes it's how steady my hands are at the time. I've found I don't much like the rubber abrasives from CC that I've been using. They don't seem to remove material as fast at the dremel polishing wheel I have, but leave big scratches, and they seem very inconsistent: sometimes polishing a near mirror shine and other times scuffing the surface.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
12:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carbide. Sometimes I get a good finish and polish from there, but seemingly randomly the carbide bit won't get the good finish I'm looking for. Sometimes it's how steady my hands are at the time. I've found I don't much like the rubber abrasives from CC that I've been using. They don't seem to remove material as fast at the dremel polishing wheel I have, but leave big scratches, and they seem very inconsistent: sometimes polishing a near mirror shine and other times scuffing the surface.
Try single and double cuts. Alumahogs when you get steady.

I find that double cuts are the best for initial cutting of plated area and ports (after hogged) and then a single cut rounded tree 1/4 x 1/4” is best at a certain rpm for finishing. At the correct rpm, a single cut finish can get close to a sanded finish.

Looks like you are pressing too hard trying to remove too much material at once. Get an alumahog and try it, just dont use near the plated part of the port, finish that area last with a standard burr.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I find that double cuts are the best for initial cutting of plated area and ports (after hogged) and then a single cut rounded tree 1/4 x 1/4” is best at a certain rpm for finishing. At the correct rpm, a single cut finish can get close to a sanded finish.

Looks like you are pressing too hard trying to remove too much material at once. Get an alumahog and try it, just dont use near the plated part of the port, finish that area last with a standard burr.

Sage advice here. I found the very tight single cuts give an excellent finish that is very easy to sand smooth and then polish. The more aggresive double cut pulls out material quicker but leads to much longer time with the emery cloth.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Yea, I'm experimenting with different pressures. I've found too little pressure with a double cut or hog will bounce around, and the best finish is from enough pressure to get a good smooth cut. I had lots of material to remove from the exhaust, so I tried too speed up progress with pressure. I just can't get the hog too close to the tight corners. That leaves a lot to go with the double cut.

I do need to get some single cuts. I have a 1/8 double cut rounded tree I tried on that cyl for just a minute, but I couldn't get a smooth cut out of it. Just a lot of vibration.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just have a cheap little grinder, but sometimes I hold with two hands and lean my arm against something to steady it more. Seems to help.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
9:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I use this double cut and dip it in water to keep it cool and lubed. When I get ready for finishing I'll put a few drops of clean motor oil on the water and use it as a polishing compound on the double cut for a near mirror finish. A slower rpm, almost no pressure, and quick moving will give the best results.
The oil on the teeth gum up with aluminum dust and turns it into a very fine polisher. 20190205_043447.jpg

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use this double cut and dip it in water to keep it cool and lubed. When I get ready for finishing I'll put a few drops of clean motor oil on the water and use it as a polishing compound on the double cut for a near mirror finish. A slower rpm, almost no pressure, and quick moving will give the best results.
The oil on the teeth gum up with aluminum dust and turns it into a very fine polisher. View attachment 163310

That is brilliant. I’m going to have to try that