ported 661 baffle in muffler vs baffle out

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
4:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
it's your secret porting
Ive put a lot of thought into that but it don't make sense.
Why would it get better as it warms up?
I can take power away and make it better and there as strong as there going to be when there popping.
If it's not popping it's off a little.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think it's just the way a 661 that turns lots of rpm in the wood sounds.

I don't have anything else to go on.
Run to good for it to be something bad.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's not really a pop,in person it sounds much more like 4 stroking than on video.
Something is stopping it and I believe it's a combination of coil and carb.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
it's your secret porting

Let's say your right, it's the way he's porting them. What is happening so that it's popping like that? How can the porting cause that sound? And Colon said his does it too, I could be wrong but I don't think Jon ported his the way Jason is doing them.
What are we missing?

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Let's say your right, it's the way he's porting them. What is happening so that it's popping like that? How can the porting cause that sound? And Colon said his does it too, I could be wrong but I don't think Jon ported his the way Jason is doing them.
What are we missing?
Colton is ported completely different but it's very strong and that's where the sound is coming from.
Ain't many turning in the wood what these are.
I'm done trying to fix it,I've looked for 5 months and have came to the conclusion that it's the nature of the beast.
There well manerd and start easy and idle all day long and at 170lb of compression should live a long time.
Like I said,every video is of a cold saw and once warm it's basically gone.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
These saws are 4stroking cold just like coltons they just have a different sound.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A cold engine needs more fuel than a warm engine....that's why it's more pronounced when cold....at operating temp it might be a little lean at the torque peak...that's where a engine consumes the most fuel....jmo

So perhaps it is ported beyond the carbs ability to fuel the saw? Maybe some drilling is necessary?

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
John said when he had trooney's saw it stopped it completely and when ton got it it didn't at all,he reset it and it gained a good bit and was doing it again so it's fuel/spark

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
John said when he had trooney's saw it stopped it completely and when ton got it it didn't at all,he reset it and it gained a good bit and was doing it again so it's fuel/spark

So here is a thought, since this is mtronic, the saw is constantly looking for the right settings based on it's feedback. If the saw can't fuel what it wants too, then maybe it is trying to adjust the timing thinking something else is wrong?
Has anyone gotten one of these saws on the diagnostic software after it runs like this?

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So here is a thought, since this is mtronic, the saw is constantly looking for the right settings based on it's feedback. If the saw can't fuel what it wants too, then maybe it is trying to adjust the timing thinking something else is wrong?
Has anyone gotten one of these saws on the diagnostic software after it runs like this?
It does it with a wj69.
It's just 4 stroking, I don't know how or why I need to fix it,they start fat and lean out as it warms.

The mtronic is a awesome setup,it's tuned right all the time.
I've tested it 6 or 7 times now and the mtronic was stronger everytime.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When timing is advanced too much :

- RPM's and power are reduced

- Piston crown and cylinder chamber are damaged

- Plug reads can show metal dust or small particles

None of this is the case with the few that Jason has done, or two of the three that I've done.

The other one that I did doesn't pop, but it's nowhere near as strong as the other two

If too much advance is given to any of thd 661's that I've played with, stock or ported, you can actually feel them buck and have a hollow smacking sound, but it doesn't happen when you lift, it happens when you're loaded

Loop scavenging issue ?? Piston wash doesn't show evidence of that.

Mine eases up on the popping when it's been working hard, but a reset brings back more power and more popping.

I'm going out on a limb here ........ and I'm not sure if I am right or wrong, but hasn't anyone else taken notice that there are 2 sets of flywheel magnets ?

X 66 stang347 X

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This may help if anyone wants to mod or test the carb on it.
db587903e89d0e18e0b4140ec58eac5d.jpg