Ported 462 or ported 500i

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
9:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ported mine right after making a few baseline cuts, however, the way I read your post ................
1. I send you a NIB 500i
2. "I'll have it ported" is what you said, so you're going to send it back to me with $350.00 so I can port it.
3. I send it back to you so you can tell me how it runs
4. You send my saw back to me ??
:confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::grazy:

Why not just send me the $350 and I'll show you the video ??
:risas3:

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
10:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I ported mine right after making a few baseline cuts, however, the way I read your post ................
1. I send you a NIB 500i
2. "I'll have it ported" is what you said, so you're going to send it back to me with $350.00 so I can port it.
:confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::confundio1::grazy:

What a J-- you turned out to be.

Remember that time I asked to borrow a 50 and you turned around and said "30?..I don't have 20!..where am I going to get 5, from.

Maybe I shouldn't have brought it up..I still owe you that nickel..haha

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
5:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What a J-- you turned out to be.

Remember that time I asked to borrow a 50 and you turned around and said "30?..I don't have 20!..where am I going to get 5, from.

Maybe I shouldn't have brought it up..I still owe you that nickel..haha
One of these days, I'm hoping that you're going to ask for my address ................... I keep thinking you're going to send me one of your rip-snortin round filed full chisel chain ????

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have the 500i you’ve got ported, then while you’re waiting on that (will be months) go buy a 462 and enjoy that. I own both, about everyone above is spot on in their observations. If you fix them both up with a 25” bar they will appear to be identical in the wood, but when you go with a long bar the 500i will shine.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have the 500i you’ve got ported, then while you’re waiting on that (will be months) go buy a 462 and enjoy that. I own both, about everyone above is spot on in their observations. If you fix them both up with a 25” bar they will appear to be identical in the wood, but when you go with a long bar the 500i will shine.
To me, the 462 is a little more high strung. I swapped to clutch springs from an 044/440 and got her to spin the chain better when down in the lower RPM's .........

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
10:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm not a logger so it hasn't bothered me just yet, it is quite soft that's for sure. If I remember correctly, the 462 springs will fit the the 500i, which I believe are larger in diameter. I remember seeing a few kits with stiffer foam buffers. Doesn't say but I think it works on the 500i https://westcoastsaw.com/collections/fallers-suspension-kit-500i/products/fallers-suspension-kit
I ran a company saw..the 261 for cutting sweet chestnut and some ash in the uk. It was a nice little saw with an 18" bar. You could't justify a 70 cc saw or a longer bar as you are not walking the logs to process. Plus you can deck them up off the ground on log or brush hand-piles or whatever may be there.

He had a 550 also. That was good when I finally figured out how to start it easely. Just a bit lower on the power but that didn't come into play too much. Still took a hungry chain as needed for the chestnut and no 'chatter' ..well violent pounding when boring in the ash.. as did the 261.
I had to make a stiffer sponge. I checked out a 462 and a 500 in the shop. There was no room for any wrist dexterity. No glide before the hand brake? They got fired right away. Horrible. It's not unusual to correct a thing or two with the right saw for it's right purpose and your style. They certainly need a few corrections.

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
4:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish mine was an r so of theres someone that mite have a slightlu used 500r or 462 r i mite would be intrested.

Hows about sliding right in between those two with a 461? I happen to have a brandy new R model if you care to do some horse trading.

laslabjohn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am thinking about doing just that. Lol

woodfarmer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1. I send you a NIB 500i

No, no, no. You send me the 500i. I take it to CFB and get it ported then I report to you how well it cuts. I might even make a vid.