Pity you guys in CA

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tires can be recycled, used in road resurfacing, which we could use around here. Long strand carbon fiber, not so much and according to article takes 14 times as much energy as steel production, while giving off large amounts of greenhouse gases. Recycling electric cars is also a problem. Maybe those losing jobs in energy sector here could dig holes or hand crank those generators.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
12:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At some time ,persons living in California voted for this mentality and there is still the freedom to move in this great Country ( until further notice) .
I moved from Pennsylvania to the south for these exact reasons, restricting regulation enforced by the government on local people, now my tax dollars support a local government that doesn't do that and choices should be made to that end .
How will they function with an entire state of movie stars, homeless people,and entitled snow flakes? They won't.
If you work with your hands there I'd move or triple my labor rate.
How do I move a 100,000 sq ft 25 person machine shop that can’t afford to stop production?

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How do I move a 100,000 sq ft 25 person machine shop that can’t afford to stop production?

I doubt it could ever be easy or cheap

Talk to MAGPUL and see what they did when Colorado went full on snowflake and MAGPUL moved to Texas with almost no lost time or production

It can be done if you want or need it bad enough

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
2:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh you can bet, buried in the bills language that government is exempt from the law so fire fighters will be allowed at the govs discretion.

It'll be like all the military vehicles that are exempted from emissions.

Remember
"do as we say not was we do"
The Government.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The new Chainsawforum needs to allow threads like these and it would get active in a hurry.

I've yet to see a gov't entity fine another, the money wouldn't go anywhere even if they did. That and...
New law(at least ways the way I read it) doesn't state you can't use gas powered OPE, rather the 50,000 sellers in CA can no longer sell gas powered OPE. Lets just say each shop averaged 5 people working in it, that's 250,000 jobs affected, either lost or severely hindered in the ability to earn. This will only lead to chainsaws and the like to become black market material in one place in the United States for the first time in history, or at least until sanity returns.

Black market saws... I wonder if they are in on it with China? Maybe clone saws are one of the 500 no longer tarrifed imports from China.

Good point on the service. What if a dealer replaced every part on someone's old broke down 372 with 572 parts basically selling them a new saw, but from parts.

I still want to see the generator with no engine to power it.

MS261CM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How long for them to degrade? Never?
They'll degrade but it will take a while.
Sooner or later it'll all collapse into a black hole and get spit back out to see if we can do it better next time.

Speaking of such - What's the environmental impact of a Space-X, Blue Origin, NASA launch?

Last edited:

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They'll degrade but it will take a while.
Sooner or later it'll all collapse into a black hole and get spit back out to see if we can do it better next time.

Speaking of such - What's the environmental impact of a Space-X, Blue Origin, NASA launch?
Carbon fiber wind blades will outlast the human race. Could those spacecraft be rubber band powered?

MS261CM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There must be a master plan. Maybe once it's all flooded or desert we
Carbon fiber wind blades will outlast the human race. Could those spacecraft be rubber band powered?
My point exactly. When do you think we might collapse into that black hole?

Some of the spacecraft are ground up rubber tire powered. What's the environmental impact? Same goes for exempt military crap.

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think there's something to be said for the battery technology in cars and other equipment. Just a few years ago most professionals were still using air/corded tools as opposed to battery equipment. Now most guys wouldn't be caught dead without their battery stuff, not because it's less hassle than the corded stuff but because it's superior in every way.

Now, I don't think legislating this stuff into reality is necessarily the way to do it, but California has historically had stricter environmental laws than the rest of the country and has used the size of their economy and population to drive a lot of that. It's the same thing that's going on here.

I definitely have some respect for clean air laws that have cleaned up a lot of the exhaust emissions from vehicles. Have you ever gotten behind an older vehicle and had to smell what was coming out of them? You hardly notice a lot of the things we have all benefitted from until it's jammed up your nose.

Lower emissions is a worthwhile endeavor for us all. We all benefit, and at what expense?
For example, cars as a whole are more powerful, reliable and emit less emissions than ever before. Some of the fastest production cars out there are Teslas and they're incredibly powerful. Sure, power plants emit garbage too, but I believe they're working on ways to change that as well.

In regards to lithium mining I'll admit, I don't know anything about it. The US has a long history of outsourcing our pollution to other places, so they'll probably "export" all that somewhere else.

Obviously none of us want to go back to a time when rivers are incredibly polluted and catching on fire. This law may be a little heavy handed, I haven't read enough about it to understand the nuances.

If you look at the explosive growth of battery equipment in the last 5 years, the performance and the investment from major OPE companies I think most consumers won't even think twice about these moves and most shops will have to pivot into that role.

It's not like all of the things taking place in California that need power equipment are going to end over night (concrete work, landscaping, forestry, etc.) They've got a few years (or more) and plenty industry backing to pivot. No company is just going to throw in the towel on California's economy.

The quality/performance of the equipment is QUICKLY catching up to the gas stuff and in some circumstances will surpass. Few more years most people will pick up gas equipment the same way you and I would pick up an old McCulloch and say to ourselves "I can't believe people used to use these."

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You just have to remember who you are talking about .California is like another country and has long been the land of fruits and nuts . They worry about really stupid stuff but every since I can remember half the state is afire from wild fires which they can't do a damned thing about despite what a mouthy politician says about raking the freakin leaves . Worry not in enough time it's going to drop off into the ocean and Nevada will have beach front property .

Catman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The lithium extraction process uses a lot of water—approximately 500,000 gallons per metric ton of lithium. To extract lithium, miners drill a hole in salt flats and pump salty, mineral-rich brine to the surface. ... Lithium extraction harms the soil and causes air contamination!