Pickeroon anybody,..??

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any pics or model number on the Fiskars pickeroon?

bupkis

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just bought a Fiskars XA22 - 28", and two Logrite hookaroons, 30" and 36". The Fiskars has a very comfortable handle. The pointy end works well enough, but not as well as the Logrite. The Logrite handle is pretty thick aluminum tubing wrapped with a firm foam grip. I have pretty big hands, and I wouldn't mind if it was a bit thinner. The Logrite's replaceable pointy end is nicer than the Fiskars. It sticks on the first swing most times, and holds really well. I think a Logrite pointy end transplanted on a Fiskars handle would be ideal.

http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Gardening-and-Yard-Care/Axes-and-Mauls/Hookaroon-28inches

https://logrite.com/store/Category/hookaroons

bupkis

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll also add that with the shorter handles, you have to be pretty much on top of the log to get it. The 36" gives you a bit more reach, and makes it easier to lever the logs around with your two hands spread farther apart. I was feeling a little remorse after I impulsively bought the 36", but now I'm really glad that I have it. How useful it is probably depends on how tall you are.

I'm still sore after today's work, but I'm sure I would be a lot worse off without the help of these tools.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is about the best price I've seen on the logrite, which is one of my absolute favorite tools. I'm using mine every day this time of year. I put logs up on my deckover trailer and buck them to firewood length up there. Then I back my splitter up next to the trailer and pull rounds off onto the beam. With the 30" pickaroon, I can reach almost all the way across my 8'6" trailer deck.

Edited: link didn't work the first time. See next post.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excuse me for asking a silly question, but do you guys pick up rounds with one hand (holding the pickeroon) or do you still need to hands, one holding the tool, and the other hand to support the weight?
I have never used one or seen one until a few years ago.
My father made this hand held tool with a large pick when I was a kid. He used it when picking up manageable sized 4 ft lengths to load on truck. It was like an extension of his arm. Like an ice pick type of tool.
But I must admit, these tools are interesting.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excuse me for asking a silly question, but do you guys pick up rounds with one hand (holding the pickeroon) or do you still need to hands, one holding the tool, and the other hand to support the weight?
I have never used one or seen one until a few years ago.
My father made this hand held tool with a large pick when I was a kid. He used it when picking up manageable sized 4 ft lengths to load on truck. It was like an extension of his arm. Like an ice pick type of tool.
But I must admit, these tools are interesting.

Generally I can lift a round with just the tool, although, it requires some caution. For rounds under say 30# it's very easy to swing them right up onto the splitter or the bed of a truck from the ground. I mention caution since the round could drop off the tool if it's not stuck well enough. In general a using pickaroon requires care; it's definitely got a high potential to accidentally lodge in your foot, and when you stick a log and hitch up to pull it, if you're not paying attention you can end up on the ground if it releases prematurely.

They definitely require some practice to get the knack for using them. Once you've got it though, you'd be dammed if you were gonna move rounds without one.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. Just what I wanted to know. Thanks Ryan. [emoji106]

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. Just what I wanted to know. Thanks Ryan. [emoji106]

This video shows a few things you can do with one. I wouldn't say it's a great video. The first application is the one I like best, moving whole rounds. Personally, rather than picking them up and carrying them the whole way (which looks like you'd absolutely NEED steel toe boots on) I'd drag them over. Also, I'd probably stick the tip into the bark of the round rather than the face, probably about in the middle. Then, after dragging it to about 4' away, I'll squat a little (not bend) and swing the round up onto the beam.

I do also use one for his third application. It's a groovy tool for moving longer sticks like that. Generally I'm just lining them up for loading on my pallet forks or something. It's great not to have to bend over and try to grip something like that.

The rest are kinda a stretch I feel like. For loading or unloading splits, hands or a pulp hook are faster. The only time I'd use the pickaroon is if the splits are really large. I don't know why you'd stage the rounds like he did. Seems like an unnecessary step, especially if you pick them up, but everyone does things differently. I have an auto cycle valve on my splitter, so I can set a round on the beam, then walk over to the next one while it's getting split. By the time the cylinder has retracted, I've dragged the next round close and am ready to swing it up.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really cool video. Thanks.
To think, I got by this long without ever using one. Lol
Its like an extension of your arm. Lol

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
3:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great thread you guys theres some good pickeroons been made and its suprising what you can do with them and how much easier they make shifting wood in awkward places

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey @RI Chevy, I almost forgot to mention that the logrite ones are on team stihl! download.jpeg
Actually, after a year and a half of use, my Stihl branded logrite handle failed at the weld. The head is attached by a roll pin and also welded, so it didn't come apart. Actually, it still works, but I think the extra wiggle room does reduce it's effectiveness. Anyway, I called them this morning to ask about a warranty replacement or repair. I was kinda expecting them to tell me I had to deal with Stihl, since it's under their brand and I bought it at a stihl dealer. Nope. They fedexed me a new one today. It's a blue one instead of orange, which is an improvement. The blue is easier to spot in the woods.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
3:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd love a little one like that!

its quite handy last summer i had some 8" fir logs 10ft long been stacked on a bank and brambles nettles etc growing around them
just fired this one in the end pulled them out and straight on the trailer alot less effort than lifting each one scrambling in the brush