Partner Chain Saw Thread

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That depends, the same carb is listed for both saws. If a carb was pulled from the p55 installed on the P70 and not properly retuned, could possibly cause an issue. Likely to have additional contributing factors.
I didn't know it was the same carburetor, thanks . Only half a turn had the screws H and L / I wonder if the piston is available

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The information I saw showed for P55 and P70's
CARBURETOR:​
ecblank.gif
Tillotson HS-172B series

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the carburetor I have / is the piston with holes better or the usual one for P70?

5000+

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm about to take it apart again .If I figure it out,good .If not I'll change the pump from the 500 .If that doesn't get it I'll presurize the oil tank .One way or another it will get oil .
There are two styles of pumps and drive worms for those saws iirc. Must match.
Most 5000's have an adjustable oiler.

5000+

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now then the 500 is a horse of a different color so to speak,got spark but no putt putt,not even a fart with a prime .I now wonder if the flywheel spun throwing the timing off .It's rare but it does happen .
They have two types of coils. Some flywheels have two keyways that alow it to be used with both type ignitions. The keyways are not close to one another.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did notice there were 3 holes for mounting screws for the coils which could explain the problem .The saw did have what looked like fairly new replacement coil .It might be some time before I get back to the 500 but must say the 5000 plus is peppy little saw .This time of year I'm overwelmed with things to do ,the little yellow saw has to wait it's turn .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I forgot to mention it these things take basically a 10 series McCulloch bar .There are several styles that fit .This one rather than a through hole for the oil is made with a single sided oil hole .Mac bars are easy to find,Partner bars are like looking for a hens tooth .

kårekloak

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If anyone doing a mufflermod on these exhaust barrels, I can highly recommend this style. Tried first to open up the stock hole plus a tiny hole in in the side, but then I sealed up holes again and welded on two pipes that goes 1/2" inside muffler. Better throttle response and sounds stronger in the cut. Dan Henry "Dozerdan" did the same on my 346xp many years ago.
P_20230712_165010.jpg

Attachments

• P_20230712_165407.jpg
    P_20230712_165407.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 15

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If memory serves I reworked the baffle by drilling it out with a "Unibit ".larger holes .opened up the deflector .Something about the baffle held the two muffler halves from tipping .Two tubes with T-bolts which connected to the exhaust flange .Used some model of Husqvarna for the bolts but being longer they needed spacers to get thread engagement .Two 1/4" nuts to the rescue . Functionality over form .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Danged thing gave me fits today .It was the carb and I had a rebuild kit..I noticed when I tore it down the high speed was cranked out 4 turns,hmm what's with that ?The diaphragm was a little stiff plus the checks but not that bad .After I removed head from azz and retuned it did good once again .Evidently who ever had it compensated for
the stiff diaphragm by cranking out the high speed .
That little Walbro WA carb has a rattle ball governor .I thought only like a 2100 Husky and a Partner p-100 used those things .According to Partner the 49 cc models ,500 and 5000 were set up to run at 14,000 . Kind of fast for a 40 year old saw .I Imagine what happened with the rich high speed at about 9-10 thousand the rattle ball opened up making the already rich mixture more rich and it fell on it's face .Which proves no matter how good you are there's always something new you can learn .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More of the on going Partner saga .On the 5000 plus I defeated the rattle ball gov and now it acts right .
The 500 was another story .spark,fuel ,no go .I took a comp check then it came out ,50 PSI .WTH It felt like more tugging on the rope but the comp tester doesn't lie because it's a good one .I bought those things sight unseen ,cheap and was told he thought they blew 140 PSI .They might have at one time but not today .Could be a gummed up ring from sitting a decade or the ring because they only have one .Gave it a good squirt of Kroil which might unstick it or might not .
I don't whine and cry about it like some as I fully expect to work on anything I buy over the internet .If it takes a new top end at worse that's the way it goes .Sometimes you get the bear some times the bear gets you .Over the years I've out scored the bear .

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wondering if this is any good, runs and is for sale
Close to mw

Attachments

• IMG_7686.png
    IMG_7686.png
    864.1 KB · Views: 14

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not a Partner expert but I'd certainly think $35 is a bargain .
Now then stuck or gummed rings a story .I was given a McCulloch 700 a guy found at a trash transfer station stuck tighter than than a bulls butt at fly time .I gave it the kerosene treated for about week and sure enough it cleared up .After some run time to limber the old timer up a tad it now runs as good as it most likely did factory fresh .So my point is some times these things do not require a tear down to give them a new lease on life .--but some things they do ---.The two p-100's were complete reworks ,lock stock and barrel so to speak and they do run great without even having enough run time to even seat the rings .However on the docket I have some large stuff coming up before the frost is on the pumpkin .A 36"" Hickory should be enough load for 99 cc's to flex their muscles .

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@lehman live edge slab that's sounding like a bargain for a old school Partner saw that runs.

The last pair of old school saws I bought, one (Mac 250) hadn't run for a long time but tuned over, hasn't been on the bench yet, and the other (Solo 667) ran fairly good but on closer inspection has a scored piston.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not a Partner expert but I'd certainly think $35 is a bargain .
Now then stuck or gummed rings a story .I was given a McCulloch 700 a guy found at a trash transfer station stuck tighter than than a bulls butt at fly time .I gave it the kerosene treated for about week and sure enough it cleared up .After some run time to limber the old timer up a tad it now runs as good as it most likely did factory fresh .So my point is some times these things do not require a tear down to give them a new lease on life .--but some things they do ---.The two p-100's were complete reworks ,lock stock and barrel so to speak and they do run great without even having enough run time to even seat the rings .However on the docket I have some large stuff coming up before the frost is on the pumpkin .A 36"" Hickory should be enough load for 99 cc's to flex their muscles .
Looks like it’s still there, I’ll probably contact him and go after work to get it. Looked at specs and it’s 65cc, guy said runs good but needs new chain. Well he doesn’t know that much about saws because chains backwards.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As I said I'm just a novice about Partner .However from my limited experiance they appear to be very well made .They thought of things even Stihl omited in design .In this area in the day it was the concrete saws that were the leader of the pack because it's not a high impact logging area .In about an hour I'll give the 5000 another run slicing up a dead standing 90 foot shag bark I dropped yesterday and hung in a freakin maple like a dumb azz .I fought that thing for an hour getting it off the stump .Dead hickory is just about like cutting concrete BTW .

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wondering if this is any good, runs and is for sale
Close to mw

I’ll see if it’s still for sale, said 35$ probably should have just gone and bought it since just about anything is worth that

Looks like it’s still there, I’ll probably contact him and go after work to get it. Looked at specs and it’s 65cc, guy said runs good but needs new chain. Well he doesn’t know that much about saws because chains backwards.
Did you bring this saw home?

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you bring this saw home?
Nope thought about it and could have but someone else’s got to looking at it so I passed. I have so maybe to get going as it is and can’t possibly use all of the ones I have enough. Rotate them in groups of 3 just to put fresh gas through