Partner Chain Saw Thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Aha got em,better than Easter eggs or Peeps .Diamonds in the rough .They both have good compression so it might be carb rebuilds or coils -seals .maybe nothing .One needs a brake handle or I could just unbolt it for the moment .
Now I have to figure what bars they might take as I have no Partner bars and the pair if P-100's I have I used Husqvarna mount .It will be late spring until I get to it .

Attachments

• DSCN1320[1].JPG
    DSCN1320[1].JPG
    331.5 KB · Views: 12

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi guys,first time posting here in the Partner thread.Last yr.I bought a pair of R16s.I rebuilt the carb on one & couldn't get it to run at all,so just put it aside till the other day.I gave it a prime & it took off running,but I ended up with the pull rope in my hand.Today I was going to change out the coil till I found that someone had previously & had cut & spliced one of the wires.That was the reason why it wouldn't run last yr.The tape had come loose over the splice & was grounding out intermittently.I ended up changing out the plug wire thinking that was the problem & that's when I found the splice.I put a different recoil on it from the other saw & all was good till I put oil in it.It smokes like a mosquito fogger.How do I rectify this situation?

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like the gasket between the engine halves is not tight
Thanks,I'll check that out today after my eye dr.appointment.The parts saw is holding oil quite well though,go figure.Only problem with the parts saw is the race for the clutch is seized onto the crank.

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks,I'll check that out today after my eye dr.appointment.The parts saw is holding oil quite well though,go figure.Only problem with the parts saw is the race for the clutch is seized onto the crank.
It happens when the chain is too tight

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did find a little time to tinker with the little ones today .The 500 has a bad coil.That explains why it got parked ,ordered one .The 5000 plug has a dinky little 16 mm nut,can't find my scrench, ordered that also .Did find two bars that will work after a little adaptation .16" hard nose McCulloch 10 series and an open roller from either a Homelite or a Remington .One takes 66 drivers the other 68 .Now I have to dig through my junk and find some .325 presets and ties .

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So now the plan is getting them running and and flog them like a rented mule to limber them up from sitting then see if they need anything .I'm not going to do a full on rebuild unless they need it .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unfortunately some clown decided to round off the screw at the very front of tyhe saw.Since it's slightly recessed I have no idea as to how to get that screw out.It wasn't loose,so I'm thinking that since the saw is 60+ yrs.old the gasket has probably deteriorated.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For some reason Partner used flange head hex screws ,low head to boot .Often inside of recesses which makes it worse .You have to blow the recesses out with compressed air and use a thin 6 point socket to reach them .Some of them on the P-100's I had a deal of a time getting them loose and used socket head bolts in place of them .What you might try is finding a smaller socket and pounding it down on what's left of the bolt head .

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's what you could do if push turns into shove .Drill or grind off the bolt head with a mini die grinder like a Dremel .Then if it's the case half which has dowels a few taps with a soft head hammer on the opposite side of the crankshaft might knock it loose .Tap now not trying to drive railroad spike .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I quickly realized that the screws are metric to boot,8mm.to be exact.Now if I could find something like a 7.5mm.or a close eqivalent in SAE I'd do like Al said - pound it on.I also thought of using a chisel to score a slot for a screwdriver.I don't care how damaged it is,just as long as I can get it out.Being recessed down in doesn't help matters at all.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those bolts IMO are a design flaw .Using a low head and considering a socket has a little chamfer on the end you don't gain enough "purchase " on the bolt head .Another idea might be using a grinder,belt sander and grind the end flat which might get enough to grip to break it loose .I've done that for Stihl clutch nut heads . Once you get it out replace it with a socket head which will be grade 8 steel .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now then the little ones .The 5000 also suffers from a bad coil . Explaining why both were shelved .The coil on the 500 at one time had been replaced .The new coil should be here by Monday .I probably had one some place I just didn't feel like digging through parts boxes to find one .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got all the bolts out of the side after I removed the clutch.I noticed that I had to pull 2 of the cylinder bolts too.I do have a couple of questions thoufg.1.)What's the little screw for at the rear of the saw right by the screw that holds the side of the engine on?3) What's the plate for on the bottom of the saw with one screw holding it on ?I pulled the bolt out part way & oil started coming out.I noticed a notch & put a screwdriver in to see if the plate would pop off,but it didn't move a bit.I'm assuming it's an access plate to get to the oil pump?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I' m not familier with that model and can only refer to the p-100's .Those had one screw which is a torx head ,the only one used in that saw which holds a clip that goes in the slot of the grooved main bearing on the clutch side .I'll take a look see to see if I have that IPL .I might remind I'm not a Partener expert,actually no expert on amything but I can read an IPL if I have one .

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No. 1 show a photo :) and No. 2 is you guessed it covers the oiler

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It might help if you go to "Chainsaw Collectors Corner " that has an IPL for that model .This also has a parts list but it's in Swedish .I suppose you could go to Google and translate it .Actually that copy is better than the one I have .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Success .got the coil today .Nice hot blue spark fired right up after a prime .Smoked a little bit which doesn't surprise me after sitting so long .Broke the freakin recoil cover out,should have known better doing a drop start on 40 year old plastic ,dumb azz . Not to worry found another plus another coil for the 500 next on deck .If it warms up next couple of days I'll chain it up and give it a whirl .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just some info for those who don't know .I found this out on the hunt for parts which often takes longer than a rebuild .If you use the parts numbers for J-red and Partner depending on the model but using the brand name you often don't find them .However if you insert Husqvarna in the search you will .Case in point the muffler bolts and outer bar plate ,found em both .

Last edited:

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I couldn't find a Bar Plate for older toasters