Oxygenated fuel in saws do’ And don’ts

EvilRoySlade

What’s my line?
Local time
7:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That type of hydrazine you are speaking of is diluted and used for corrosion prevention most likely in piping as it is an oxygen scavenger. Pure hydrazine is used as a satellite propulsion fuel and would never be able to be handled in open air as risk of explosion.
Pretty much correct. Yes it was only 35% Hydrazine aqueous solution. But we used it in a reactor to neutralize free O2 during the reaction. Just a wee bit harder to get your hands on pure hydrazine. Good call though

A

ADMO services

I actually have a 6.7 Cummins running on my homemade fuel from waste motor oil. I’ve ran this fuel in this truck for 7 years and ran it in 4 other trucks one being a 7.3 for 12 years. I call it rocket sauce because you get bit more power as you can adjust the specific gravity and I find .85 to be the sweet spot. Modern ulsd is becoming more and more like kerosene which contains less btu. Most usld is .82sg. Jet A is .8sg.

A

ADMO services

Your 7.3 built higher cylinder pressure than your 6.7 since it has no pilot injection I would venture to say it would be less safe to run a such additive as a hydrazine solution on that

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your 7.3 built higher cylinder pressure than your 6.7 since it has no pilot injection I would venture to say it would be less safe to run a such additive as a hydrazine solution on that
I’m no diesel mechanic, I just know I’d rather grenade a $10k truck as opposed to a $50k truck...

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How does SG affect burn rate? And does it change with compression increase?

as it would pertain to saws

A

ADMO services

Sg only pertains to diesel as they run multiple af ratio. The denser the fuel has longer chain knocker paraffins which combust under pressure. Lighter fuel tents to have more aromatics and smaller chain paraffins which liberate less oxygen during combustion.
Gassers run at a set a/f ratio all the time and lighter fuel and especially when oxygenated allows you to run a lot more fuel through the engine.

A

ADMO services

No lightweight saw engine could handle true diesel cycle cylinder pressures

A

ADMO services

In a diesel I’m either running the injection pressure up as rpm/load increases dumping more fuel like your 7.3l pulsing the injection event right before tdc. Or like your 6.7 pulsing the injection duration longer as rpm/load increases pulsing up to 4 times per stroke before tbc. With rail pressure rising as well with rpm. Spark ignition like saws will be set to a specific a/f ratio that runs as constantly as possible throughout rpm and load. So main difference is saws compress fuel and air together needing octane. Diesels only compress air during compression stroke.

A

ADMO services

As for saws dieseling that just means you didn’t have enough octane and it’s cylinder pressure or ignition timing was too much and was able to overcome the octane rating of your fuel during the compression stroke. Never a good thing if you want it to last.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As for saws dieseling that just means you didn’t have enough octane and it’s cylinder pressure or ignition timing was too much and was able to overcome the octane rating of your fuel during the compression stroke. Never a good thing if you want it to last.
Mmm not to sure about that one...you know how saw carbs work?

A

ADMO services

You thinking I don’t know what a stratified carb works?

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sg only pertains to diesel as they run multiple af ratio. The denser the fuel has longer chain knocker paraffins which combust under pressure. Lighter fuel tents to have more aromatics and smaller chain paraffins which liberate less oxygen during combustion.
Gassers run at a set a/f ratio all the time and lighter fuel and especially when oxygenated allows you to run a lot more fuel through the engine.
If it only pertains to diesel, why does VP list SG
For every one of their fuels?

It has no effect in a gas engine?

A

ADMO services

I was referring to it being thicker giving performance in my post I said lighter fuel effects gassers.

A

ADMO services

I probably should have worded that differently but in the end of my post you see my explanation

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I probably should have worded that differently but in the end of my post you see my explanation
So less SG allows you to run more fuel through the engine, but that raises the question combustion rate and volatility. Even if your running a denser fuel and less of it, you could still makes similar or more power.