High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Oxygenated fuel in saws do’ And don’ts

A

ADMO services

what does one do to get started running alcohol in a saw? Do the fuel lines, carb diaphragms, etc need to be changed to a higher quality? Am I to fog the crankcase with wd40 after every run? What mixture and type of oil? Retuned for probably a/f of course. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated! Thanks guys!

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
What will the saw be used for?

You have to find an oil that will mix with methanol. Klotz super techniplate will. Alcohol or called methanol is like the ethanol in gas. it is harder on the rubber parts of the fuel system. To make a chainsaw run on methanol, you have to make the fuel system run more volume than gas. Like 2 or 3 or 5 time more. This is tedious work that can be done and has for a long time in the racing world of chain saws. The gain if found comes with more maintenance.

I can keep going, but will wait till I find what your saw will be used for. Your title says oxygenated fuel, your post is alcohol.

Joey

dmb2613

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We ran methanol in kart engines back in the 80s had to run them between 350 and 400 degrees to get max power had to richen them up while running to keep them below 400 as they would seize up at a bit over 400 fun but very costly. ran a very thin synthetic oil of course they were 4 strokes some ran the 2 strokes but I never did. many different classes
And I found out that age had caught up with me and I stopped racing Karts

A

ADMO services

Yes methanol and klots. I’m familiar with this type of running that volatile fuel in outboard racing. So I understand it runs more than double the stoichiometric. I’m more asking from the stand point of the small carbs and what it takes to get them to hold up.

A

ADMO services

I’ve not decided on if I will use oxygenated fuel.

A

ADMO services

There’s no we here just me and I’ve got 20+ years in building outboard, Diesel, drag, and saw engines. I’m not much of a racer, tbh I don’t much like to go fast. For me I just like the thrill of getting more from an engine. Just want a saw to play around with just to appease myself. If anyone has some guidance on the subject I would greatly appreciate it. I’m no expert but not green. Somewhere in between like most of you.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fitting a larger carb and then drilling the H jet is normally a good start in them. Sometimes the throttle linkage is the hardest part period.

A

ADMO services

372xp carb fits fairly easily on echo cs520/530 which is my build

A

ADMO services

Numbered drill bits and jets while checking spark plug color. As well as popping on deceleration. Busted lots of reeds learning this btw. Lucky no reeds on these saws

A

ADMO services

It’s not built yet. Are you referring to replacing the plastic cage wrist pin bearing and better seals?

A

ADMO services

Also have not decided what compression to shoot for. I can get 220psi fairly easily but oxygenated fuel likes an open combustion chamber. What would the optimal squish be for alky fueled saw with a 45mm bore?

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was more referring to porting.
The cylinder needs to flow more.
Exhaust obviously too, echo’s are choked up

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The gain running methanol is minimal unless the saw is built for it, compared to gas. Methanol is high octane, it’s ability to run cooler is an advantage. But all the extra maintenance takes some of the fun out of it.
There are plenty of gas options out there that a person could spend days experimenting.

Last edited: