Out of tensioner travel-options.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
2:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your hard nose bar only really cares about the drive link gauge, because it has no sprocket on it to dictate the chain pitch. , I’m guessing it’s 0.63 (1.6mm) gauge because you say it’s stamped 404.
However your clutch sprocket is now dictating what chain pitch needs to be used. So if you change the sprocket on the clutch to a 3/8 then I think your find a 36” bar is 114 DL.

(We don’t currently know what sprocket is on your saw, or what pitch chain your using)

what letters and or numbers are on the chain Dl ? if it’s Carlton then it should say, and you can use the chart I’ve added to work out and be sure what your current chain pitch & gauge is.

Sometime the clutch sprocket is not marked and the easiest way to work out what it is, is to have a known chain pitch and see if it fits.
D25E2437-344F-4F03-90E1-A8BD77436EB8.png

Dennisthemenace

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Everyone.

New member here. I have been read for about two months now. This is my first thread. Thank you all for thoughts, comments and advice. I’m am a very well informed but inexperienced when it comes to milling I have about 20-30 tanks through my G660 milling a tulip poplar that was blown over in 2018.

My issue is I have run out of adjustment on my 36” hard nose Holtzforma milling bar and chains. I have a 52” milling bar as well (I have milled a crotch that was 42” wide at the top). I believe I have cooked the hard nose and after dressing the tip to remove the gouge it’s now shorter and the tensioner is at the end of its travel and probably softened some as there was some scorched paint at the tip. (I have a 28” bar as well)

I am making 3x6s and have about 20 more 11’ cuts to make with a max width of 28”-29” for half of the cuts 18” for the other half.

Seems like I have three options.

1- drill new adjustment hole in the questionable 36” bar.

2–use the 52” bar for the rest of the wide cuts and switch to the 28” for the narrow ones.

3- get a new 36” 0.063 bar. If so what brand. It might se double duty bucking large poplars for firewood but it wouldn’t have to. I don’t think it would see much use other than milling. I don’t see any more large milling projects anytime soon.

4- take a link out of the Carleton chain. I only have Archer presets and ties. Are they compatible?

Which option would you choose? Is there something I didn’t think of? Thanks for your help.

Thanks Evan

edit-added pictures

If it's a China bar get rid of it.