Out of tensioner travel-options.

EbS-P

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

New member here. I have been read for about two months now. This is my first thread. Thank you all for thoughts, comments and advice. I’m am a very well informed but inexperienced when it comes to milling I have about 20-30 tanks through my G660 milling a tulip poplar that was blown over in 2018.

My issue is I have run out of adjustment on my 36” hard nose Holtzforma milling bar and chains. I have a 52” milling bar as well (I have milled a crotch that was 42” wide at the top). I believe I have cooked the hard nose and after dressing the tip to remove the gouge it’s now shorter and the tensioner is at the end of its travel and probably softened some as there was some scorched paint at the tip. (I have a 28” bar as well)

I am making 3x6s and have about 20 more 11’ cuts to make with a max width of 28”-29” for half of the cuts 18” for the other half.

Seems like I have three options.

1- drill new adjustment hole in the questionable 36” bar.

2–use the 52” bar for the rest of the wide cuts and switch to the 28” for the narrow ones.

3- get a new 36” 0.063 bar. If so what brand. It might se double duty bucking large poplars for firewood but it wouldn’t have to. I don’t think it would see much use other than milling. I don’t see any more large milling projects anytime soon.

4- take a link out of the Carleton chain. I only have Archer presets and ties. Are they compatible?

Which option would you choose? Is there something I didn’t think of? Thanks for your help.

Thanks Evan

edit-added pictures

Attachments

• 44D99D49-A39D-4A76-8205-5FF86CC37B2B.jpeg
    44D99D49-A39D-4A76-8205-5FF86CC37B2B.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DCC6DAE8-1AD5-430F-9BFF-8333BC98A0A0.jpeg
    DCC6DAE8-1AD5-430F-9BFF-8333BC98A0A0.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to OPE.
I vote for #3.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
8:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your easiest option might be to drill another tensioner hole in the 36" bar, but you need to make sure the slot for the bar studs is going to be long enough.

Otherwise, removing a link from your chains would then be the better choice if the slot isn't going to be long enough. It should be easy enough to get
presets and tie straps for Carlton chain either online or from a dealer or have a dealer shorten your chains.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Your easiest option might be to drill another tensioner hole in the 36" bar, but you need to make sure the slot for the bar studs is going to be long enough
That thought was my first my first thought, but on a China made bar with a compromised hard nose sprocket... Just get a new quality bar and be done with it.

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That thought was my first. But on a Chin made bar with a compromised hard nose sprocket... Just get a new quality bar and be done with it.

Normally I'd agree, but if this is his only milling job and he hasn't compromised the hard-facing of the tip, it can probably last him the remainder of this job. Sometimes buying more stuff isn't really the answer.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
only milling job
I'm under the impression he's starting out milling with a saw but, he will continue to do so.
I guess it's time to hear from the OP again.

EbS-P

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm under the impression he's starting out milling with a saw but, he will continue to do so.
I guess it's time to hear from the OP again.
I don’t have any more large projects in mind after this one. I need 25-30 3x6s between this tree an another in my back yard. I have been banned from brining any more slabs into the house and calling them furniture or art. I should add some pics to the project thread. I have considered a light weight 36” bar but I don’t see it getting much use. A 28” light weight would be a better investment.

8 T sprocket seems like a good first try. If the bar is to far gone to be useful what 36” bar would you recommend. I’d like to keep it under 150$ if possible.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don’t have any more large projects in mind after this one. I need 25-30 3x6s between this tree an another in my back yard. I have been banned from brining any more slabs into the house and calling them furniture or art. I should add some pics to the project thread. I have considered a light weight 36” bar but I don’t see it getting much use. A 28” light weight would be a better investment.

8 T sprocket seems like a good first try. If the bar is to far gone to be useful what 36” bar would you recommend. I’d like to keep it under 150$ if possible.
Buy an Oregon or Woodland Pro bar.

EbS-P

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You think a Chinese 660 is going to be up to that?
It’s poplar and it can pull 42” cut full house ripping chain. I don’t push it. Keep the chain sharp, rakers at .o25. It’s what I got and I’ve gotten my money out of it so far. I think bar is more what I’m concerned about than the saw.

EbS-P

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Your easiest option might be to drill another tensioner hole in the 36" bar, but you need to make sure the slot for the bar studs is going to be long enough.

Otherwise, removing a link from your chains would then be the better choice if the slot isn't going to be long enough. It should be easy enough to get
presets and tie straps for Carlton chain either online or from a dealer or have a dealer shorten your chains.
I looked at how much space I had at the back of the slot. Looked like I might need to file it back another 1/16”. For a bar that might be junk I’m ok doing drilling and filing it.

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Id just take a link from the chain. Done it several times with a file or grinder and a ball pein hammer

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I looked at how much space I had at the back of the slot. Looked like I might need to file it back another 1/16”. For a bar that might be junk I’m ok doing drilling and filing it.

If you go with a larger sprocket, which is a good suggestion, then you can tune your chain so that the load is comparable on the motor as to what you're running now. Running your rakers a little shallower and
cleaning the gullet out more helps with chatter generated by a bigger sprocket.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Everyone.

New member here. I have been read for about two months now. This is my first thread. Thank you all for thoughts, comments and advice. I’m am a very well informed but inexperienced when it comes to milling I have about 20-30 tanks through my G660 milling a tulip poplar that was blown over in 2018.

My issue is I have run out of adjustment on my 36” hard nose Holtzforma milling bar and chains. I have a 52” milling bar as well (I have milled a crotch that was 42” wide at the top). I believe I have cooked the hard nose and after dressing the tip to remove the gouge it’s now shorter and the tensioner is at the end of its travel and probably softened some as there was some scorched paint at the tip. (I have a 28” bar as well)

I am making 3x6s and have about 20 more 11’ cuts to make with a max width of 28”-29” for half of the cuts 18” for the other half.

Seems like I have three options.

1- drill new adjustment hole in the questionable 36” bar.

2–use the 52” bar for the rest of the wide cuts and switch to the 28” for the narrow ones.

3- get a new 36” 0.063 bar. If so what brand. It might se double duty bucking large poplars for firewood but it wouldn’t have to. I don’t think it would see much use other than milling. I don’t see any more large milling projects anytime soon.

4- take a link out of the Carleton chain. I only have Archer presets and ties. Are they compatible?

Which option would you choose? Is there something I didn’t think of? Thanks for your help.

Thanks Evan

edit-added pictures
Welcome to the site
Just drop a link or possibly 2 with worn chain.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
4:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I,m thinking the chain is more stretched than a worn bar nose.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Normally I'd agree, but if this is his only milling job and he hasn't compromised the hard-facing of the tip, it can probably last him the remainder of this job. Sometimes buying more stuff isn't really the answer.
And that’s kinda where I was going with the larger sprocket. Might not be ideal, but it might also get him through this job for $7

EbS-P

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well I decided to drill a new tensioner hole. I knew bars are hard but after dulling a pile of drill bits and resorting to the dremel i got through. Have not fitted chain yet. I did notice that it’s listed as a .404 bar (104 DL). Does that equal 114 DL of 3/8”? I will report back if the bar is toast or not.

EbS-P

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
And that’s kinda where I was going with the larger sprocket. Might not be ideal, but it might also get him through this job for $7
The 8 T was the best solution. I just needed it for tomorrow morning and didn’t have time to see if my local dealer had one in stock and go get it. I thought I have a drill press and a sharp bit. I’ll be fine.......