Opinions on pole saws!!!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello guys...well I have been picking up more tree jobs on the side...I am thinking about buying a power pruner....do any of you guys have or use the HT103 or HT133, they just came out this spring I believe...this job would pay for the power pruner, so I can use it on the rest of the jobs I get in the future...

Another option is the hand pole saw like a silky....you can reach further with them....

Anyway just looking for opinions from all you guys that use this stuff all the time...

Thanks a lot guys Kyle!!

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a HT101 that I bought some years ago. Mine always starts and runs well. I'm super careful about not pinching the bar in the cut. I bought it for a Hawthorne tree/bush that had grown threw my service line and decided to keep it. I don't loan it out.

The only problem I've had was with the oil flippy cap can be a bear.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a HT101 that I bought some years ago. Mine always starts and runs well. I'm super careful about not pinching the bar in the cut. I bought it for a Hawthorne tree/bush that had grown threw my service line and decided to keep it. I don't loan it out.

The only problem I've had was with the oil flippy cap can be a bear.
Good deal...ya the HT103 is the "newest" mode of yours then...it has some new feature, and shed some weight...

Do you feel that it has plenty of length for most stuff...

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are occasions when I wished it was longer but that's with anything. 99% of the time its good.

I always keep a sharp chain and it's pretty powerful. However, I have nothing to compare it to.

It gets a little heavy but the strap helps

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never used a gas pole saw that was worth a *s-word. The stihls were the best. Had an echo that always hated life lol
What was the problem with them....

Did you use the hand pole saws instead...

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2cents from a guy who has run most brands... We are in the middle of 12.5acres of forest with the house and so something always needs trimmed back or under cut, or need a polesaw for thorny locust. I have fixed and lightly modded quite a few for friends and then tried them out for several hours each cutting/ trimming and limbing.

Stihl's
the HT 101 and 131 were the top end for saws since they had bigger displacement and good reliability. That being said I haven't run the new series yet. I own a Kombi Style with interchangeable tools (same motor as 101/131) and the saw doesn't reach far enough without the extension shaft (or two), and they get really heavy at that point. It's good for people that want one engine with lots of tools for fine grooming yards and a small reach needed (but that's not me). Also all the seperate connections can rob power and create more failure points. Cheap aftermarket parts are available and seem to work quite well from my experience (carbs, gear boxes, etc) on the 4mix engines. Aftermarket might be caught up on some parts by the time you need them if you buy a new one. The 4mix engines are all 90% the same so having a spare carb or fuel line around is nice. Keeping valve lash tensioned correctly and the valves de-carboned is key on these engines. Very reliable as far as the old style is concerned (there are some NOS units still at dealers).

Echo's...
UGH... good warranty but don't count on power to pull over a 6-8" cut. I haven't modified one so there might be gains to be had like the husky i'll mention later... I was using the 28cc larger echo and it took a while to spool up and would jam and stop the chain quite a bit. The blower and weed eaters perform better from what I've seen. Also parts are dealership or online only so you end up paying for the parts from dealer no matter what breaks.

Husqvarna
All of the new poles saws from Husky use the same 25.4cc engine and have the same power. You are just paying for the extra reach as the price goes up. Had a friend come in with the longest 13ft polesaw Husky makes and it was a pooch to say the least. It had terrible acceleration and felt like little to no power even after 1-2hrs of limbing to get the catalytic element in the muffler hot, and a good carb tune. I think we all know where I went with this thing. Unroll the crimp and split the 2 halfs and do as you see fit, and don't forget to retune the carb. Completely different animal after everything was breathing properly with good solid carb adjustment ;)... Polesaws are a little trickier to tune vs chainsaws. I made the mistake of tuning without running in some wood. I tuned by ear and reading the plug to make sure i wasnt too lean or too rich (originally i had it way too rich). Friend came back the exhaust wet and black and said it was still sluggish and after leaning out the high side quite a bit the plug was reading good and we were buzzing through 10-12" cuts without a problem. The echo could be the same way and do great after some mods...

I will caution to make sure you get a polesaw with fully adjustable carb if you plan or even think you might modify it (H-L-LA). I made the mistake of modding my brothers echo leaf blower and it accelerated great once opened up but it had a fixed jet carb so I could do nothing to lean up the motor and make it hold a higher RPM. The nice thing about the husky blowers and polesaws are that they had a fully adjustable carbs and a spare muffs were $20-$25 in case it ever needed to return under warranty. :D I didn't expect any warranty issues to arise and after several long seasons worth of acreage use on it, nothing has went wrong. Also pay attention to the plastic cover over the muffler, if you decide on a mod for it you wont want to burn up the shinny new covers right away.

Last but not least... LOOK at the CHAIN! I am seeing that the new Stihls are going back to 1/4 pitch chain. it works but a nice 3/8LP/Picco safety chain works MUCH better!

That might be 20 cents worth so I'm done for now...

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2cents from a guy who has run most brands... We are in the middle of 12.5acres of forest with the house and so something always needs trimmed back or under cut, or need a polesaw for thorny locust. I have fixed and lightly modded quite a few for friends and then tried them out for several hours each cutting/ trimming and limbing.

Stihl's
the HT 101 and 131 were the top end for saws since they had bigger displacement and good reliability. That being said I haven't run the new series yet. I own a Kombi Style with interchangeable tools (same motor as 101/131) and the saw doesn't reach far enough without the extension shaft (or two), and they get really heavy at that point. It's good for people that want one engine with lots of tools for fine grooming yards and a small reach needed (but that's not me). Also all the seperate connections can rob power and create more failure points. Cheap aftermarket parts are available and seem to work quite well from my experience (carbs, gear boxes, etc) on the 4mix engines. Aftermarket might be caught up on some parts by the time you need them if you buy a new one. The 4mix engines are all 90% the same so having a spare carb or fuel line around is nice. Keeping valve lash tensioned correctly and the valves de-carboned is key on these engines. Very reliable as far as the old style is concerned (there are some NOS units still at dealers).

Echo's...
UGH... good warranty but don't count on power to pull over a 6-8" cut. I haven't modified one so there might be gains to be had like the husky i'll mention later... I was using the 28cc larger echo and it took a while to spool up and would jam and stop the chain quite a bit. The blower and weed eaters perform better from what I've seen. Also parts are dealership or online only so you end up paying for the parts from dealer no matter what breaks.

Husqvarna
All of the new poles saws from Husky use the same 25.4cc engine and have the same power. You are just paying for the extra reach as the price goes up. Had a friend come in with the longest 13ft polesaw Husky makes and it was a pooch to say the least. It had terrible acceleration and felt like little to no power even after 1-2hrs of limbing to get the catalytic element in the muffler hot, and a good carb tune. I think we all know where I went with this thing. Unroll the crimp and split the 2 halfs and do as you see fit, and don't forget to retune the carb. Completely different animal after everything was breathing properly with good solid carb adjustment ;)... Polesaws are a little trickier to tune vs chainsaws. I made the mistake of tuning without running in some wood. I tuned by ear and reading the plug to make sure i wasnt too lean or too rich (originally i had it way too rich). Friend came back the exhaust wet and black and said it was still sluggish and after leaning out the high side quite a bit the plug was reading good and we were buzzing through 10-12" cuts without a problem. The echo could be the same way and do great after some mods...

I will caution to make sure you get a polesaw with fully adjustable carb if you plan or even think you might modify it (H-L-LA). I made the mistake of modding my brothers echo leaf blower and it accelerated great once opened up but it had a fixed jet carb so I could do nothing to lean up the motor and make it hold a higher RPM. The nice thing about the husky blowers and polesaws are that they had a fully adjustable carbs and a spare muffs were $20-$25 in case it ever needed to return under warranty. :D I didn't expect any warranty issues to arise and after several long seasons worth of acreage use on it, nothing has went wrong. Also pay attention to the plastic cover over the muffler, if you decide on a mod for it you wont want to burn up the shinny new covers right away.

Last but not least... LOOK at the CHAIN! I am seeing that the new Stihls are going back to 1/4 pitch chain. it works but a nice 3/8LP/Picco safety chain works MUCH better!

That might be 20 cents worth so I'm done for now...
Wow, thanks for detailed post, really appreciate it!!!!

If I get this job, I will probably get the HT103(new ht101 model)....they have some new features and lost some weight...I don't know if they have standard carbs, but I would sure hope so!!!!

Last edited:

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for explaining!!!

Do you use/like the hand pruner more than the power pruner!!!
Yes and no, when the blade is sharp it is astonishing the speed which it will cut softwood. Anything over 5 inch and I rule out the manual pole saw because I'm fat and get tired easy hahaha

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well since the ht133 is only .4 heavier than the 103, and it has more power, I think it would be silly to not get the 133....I called and I can get one for $650 out the door..

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take a good look at the Stihl Kombi system as there is no expensive tube to replace if it gets pinched. It stores much better than the 9 foot extendable polesaws and can be made much shorter maki g it lighter. The 130 or it's successor would be my choice and I have a ht 100, 250, and 131.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I hear very good things about the old Husqvarna hydraulic pole saws, so much so that I'm after one for myself. therein lies the snag, they're rare as rocking horse *s-word

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the kombi km130 with many attachments. My dealer told me I can run 2 extensions but that is the max. It does get heavy but the extensions are cheaper than the extendable piece of the ht saws. Plus you can get so many other attachments it works good for me around my small town lot.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran a 133 twice this week.. we got one about 2 weeks ago or so , kinda heavier feeling if you have vagitosis but it cuts pretty quick with 1/4 pitch chain.

I like it.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only thing about the kombiis the weight, and I still don't think it would reach as far....
Take a good look at the Stihl Kombi system as there is no expensive tube to replace if it gets pinched. It stores much better than the 9 foot extendable polesaws and can be made much shorter maki g it lighter. The 130 or it's successor would be my choice and I have a ht 100, 250, and 131.
has the 131 been a good one for you....the new 133 has lost weight and has a lot of new features....

I am torn right now between the hand pruner and the power pruner.....I have a feeling I will eventually have both....just want to get the one I will use the most first!!!