Local time
5:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know that here where i live
No one runs saws like when i was young in the 70s/80s
People simply don't farm or burn wood like they used to
And many of those saws are still running.
These modern saws simply are too fragile
They can't be left in a barn or whatever for months or year's like old saws were.
Modern fuel eats the line's or carb kits.
And all these condom saws now with the extra line's are a constant repair i do to customers saws.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I have a ms261c for example that runs an 18" 325 full comp full chisel. I recommend it for general use lightweight saw, I think it's great. I hear plenty of people say do NOT put a 3/8 chain and/or long bar on this 10lb saw.
I had no problems dropping a 3/8" rim sprocket on my MS 261c with a 20" bar and a full skip RS 33 chain. Runs great, would probably max it out at 24" if I felt the need. As for older saws, I have an Stihl 046 and 066 I just finished rebuilding that I will work into my rotation and a Husky 272 and 2100 on the workbench. I have a Homelite Super XL that I have running and want to start using. I am not a daily cutter so my results don't compare with others here on the forum, but I did have customers where I worked that ran older saws and newer saws with no issues (taking care of them) and had other customers that would seize a brand new 261 in under an hour with straight gas or burn out a 271 clutch assembly running it WOT after accidentally hitting the chain brake.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
2:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll use an 056, Sp81, etc if I'm just sorta goofing, if I'm really trying to get something done quickly or running a saw a lot, new is king. My oldest "user" saw is my 2100 which is rarely needed. Outside of that, 3-series Husky and an 066 are the oldest stuff I'll use. Older saws IN MY EXPERIENCE tend to be more finicky, while newer saws are far easier on my hands and almost always fire right up.

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My grandfather logged and cut firewood for himself and the neighbours since the late 50’s ran macs, dolmar, lots of homelite and pioneers.
I let him have a crack at a couple saws last summer. Ms 400, 461, Homelite xl, pro Mac 700, and a Poulan 455.
His pick of the litter was the 400 at 84 years old.

Another retired logger I know is a huge saw nut, loves his macs has I think 600? Saws runs a 7310 echo when has to work. 125 macs, gear drives and two mans when he plays

If old saws had antivibe I think we’d hear a different tune

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can’t argue with technology and R&D.

New Corvette with 6.2 liters vs a 1969 L88 with 7.0 liters. The new one will put it to shame and not make you feel like you did a days hard labor after driving it. In our hearts we all want the old one to be better, but it wasn’t. Does bring back fond memories though.

It’s where the tech evolved and where the regulations began that matters more. Most of the saws from the 80-90’s peaked in terms of performance with different timing, multiple ports, strato technology (not sure on date for strato’s). I’d rather run a 500i all day long than a Homelite Wiz.

Reliability is another issue. There is certainly defined obsolescence built into everything these days. It’s the disposable world, which seems to include people as well. The older stuff was designed to last forever with many serviceable parts. I remember my first Ford tractor built in 1958. Wasn’t a part on it that wasnt serviceable and able to be fixed cheaply and return to work.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
4:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can’t argue with technology and R&D.

New Corvette with 6.2 liters vs a 1969 L88 with 7.0 liters. The new one will put it to shame and not make you feel like you did a days hard labor after driving it. In our hearts we all want the old one to be better, but it wasn’t. Does bring back fond memories though.

It’s where the tech evolved and where the regulations began that matters more. Most of the saws from the 80-90’s peaked in terms of performance with different timing, multiple ports, strato technology (not sure on date for strato’s). I’d rather run a 500i all day long than a Homelite Wiz.

Reliability is another issue. There is certainly defined obsolescence built into everything these days. It’s the disposable world, which seems to include people as well. The older stuff was designed to last forever with many serviceable parts. I remember my first Ford tractor built in 1958. Wasn’t a part on it that wasnt serviceable and able to be fixed cheaply and return to work.
IIRC, 1996 was the year the EPA regulations went into effect, and when some of the manufacturers switched to building saws in China, to save money in hopes of staying competitive with saws that could pass all these new regulations.

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think old saws are fun, and definitely have that cool factor, but there’s no way I would expose my hands/wrists to that kind of vibration daily. We obviously know a lot more today, than we did back then, about the negative effects vibration can have on a person. Old saws make power, and we know that. But the lack of A/V is the deal breaker for me for anything beyond playing around.

My daily work saws are all late model, spring mounted saws that vibrate very little in the hands.
Yep, but back then that was the latest gear that rattled ya teeth😳🙄🤣and no doubt people on them were impressed with production!👍but i appreciate old power saws, as i walk to my still fav orange top 94’ 61, or that awesome 592💪

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
4:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To me, the older 2&3 series husky and the stihl 026,036,046,066 is good enough. Ok anti vibe and easy to service.
I actually think the Mac 125 is still nice to use if parts are not so rare though.

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To me, the older 2&3 series husky and the stihl 026,036,046,066 is good enough. Ok anti vibe and easy to service.
I actually think the Mac 125 is still nice to use if parts are not so rare though.
034 super is my choice in older stihls this era, had good run from that saw for a long time, 066 imo pick of 66 range but stihl not an ergonomic nor powerful unit, & 660mag sucks too much fuel and always argues🤦🏻🤣👍