High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

On today's episode of "its definitely broken"!

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
4:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ouch, looks like there some carnage there - broke your rear handle too. I can help with some parts for that.
Thank you sir, I got it fixed up this past weekend! Also discovered that it was a .020 bore saw .20200525_190215.jpg 20200525_185838.jpg

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is off of my 064. The cylinder was in beautiful pristine condition! The saw was just recently rebuilt and ran awesome! I was using it one day and it started leaning out. Grabbed another saw and finished the day.

Went home and started looking for the problem. I went for the usual suspects. I tried new everything carb, fuel filter, fuel line, impulse line, vent line and intake boot.

Still no change! I was getting mad and scratching my head at this point.

I took it to my dealer to do a vac test for me because I don't have a tester. Well he called me up and said I found the problem. He said in the 40 years he's been working with saws he's never seen this and THIS is what it was.

Luckily not long after I picked this saw up I recently bought a box of 064 parts off of @K Mueller.

Has anyone else ever seen this?

20200416_152131.jpg

20200416_152138.jpg

It looks like it was a poor casting. Right at the ends of the transfers it looks like there was some porosity in the casting.

What are your thoughts?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is off of my 064. The cylinder was in beautiful pristine condition! The saw was just recently rebuilt and ran awesome! I was using it one day and it started leaning out. Grabbed another saw and finished the day.

Went home and started looking for the problem. I went for the usual suspects. I tried new everything carb, fuel filter, fuel line, impulse line, vent line and intake boot.

I took it to my dealer to do a vac test for me because I don't have a tester. Well he called me up and said I found the problem. He said in the 40 years he's been working with saws he's never seen this and THIS is what it was.

Luckily not long after I picked this saw up I recently bought a box of 064 parts off of @K Mueller.

View attachment 244483

View attachment 244484

It looks like it was a poor casting. Right at the ends of the transfers it looks like there was some porosity in the casting.

What are your thoughts?

Seen 390xp, 461, 084, and one thin base 066 do that after machining for adding compression. Once it was 2 tight bolts and 2 that weren’t so tight and I guess the piston pushing on it vibrated enough to crack it there.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
3:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 244483

View attachment 244484

What are your thoughts?

Could be a bad casting no doubt. Could also be a harmonics issue. Polaris had that issue with their 1050 and 1200 jet ski engines. Things would be fine if you stayed 500 below the rev limiter. Push it right to the edge and they would break the ears off the jug on the pto cyl.

Also if someone leaves a saw in tall grass and the brush hog comes along........... Well they will golf the cyl clean off too. Glad that one wasn't my oops. Was pretty interesting carnage though.

Steven

JBW1

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score

View attachment 244483

View attachment 244484

What are your thoughts?

put some JB weld to the test!!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a fresh one for this thread, pictures are on my dumbphone which is charging.
I'll post sometime later, in a day or two.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
3:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's one that I can show now. This is what's left of a Stihl MS 661C M-tronic tank housing and input boot after it encounters a logger's skid loader:
Stihl MS 661C Tank Housing.jpg
Believe it or not, we got this saw running again, but it was not easy. Parts alone added up to $500. You should have seen the outer handles. The dealer said, "This saw is running again? No way, Jose!"

Last edited: