Oil/gas fuel ratio different from manufacturer directions

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have seen a lot (majority?) of people on forums say they use 32:1 ratio. Why? Where does 32 come from?

If a manufacturer says 50:1, why would I want to do differently? Wouldn't they know what is best, or do they use planned obsolescence or what?

And then I could ask about gasoline, lol.

EDIT: If I were to buy into the 32:1 deal, could it do any harm to any of my saws?

Last edited:

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
4:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a steep cliff, but I'll walk a little closer.

Most here (and other places) will say the epa has pressured manufacturers to lowering emissions on new internal combustion engines. Oil contains more of what the epa doesn't want in the air, so they want less oil used.
Many builders have noticed crank bearing failures due to very little residual oil left in the bottom ends on saws that were run on 50:1.

A saw used to cut firewood for homeowner use would probably last a good long time being run on 50:1.

On the other hand, saws that are used 6 or 8 hours each and every day, if they don't get smashed or driven over, will last quite a bit longer with more oil in the mix.
In my mind, it's more important to make sure there's an acceptable amount of oil in the mix, rather than straight gas, and recognize when something doesn't sound right about the way a saw is running, like an air leak.
That being said, I used to run 50:1 in all my ope without failure. Now I run 32:1. Like I said earlier, more important to make sure there's oil in it at all, rather than how much

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
to your question, guys who work their saws hard for a living (not me) will shred bottom ends of saws a lot more often on 50:1 than 32:1. 50:1 with good gas and oil is good for most people. 40:1 is cheap insurance, though ive run weed whips and blowers on 75:1 for years with no problems. its all about your application and a little common sense.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got saws from the 60s till now they all have different recommendations on mix ratios stamped on them since the 80s I've run 40-1 never had a failure and will keep using it. With the improvement in technology in oils that's why the ratios have changed and of course the epa my bad if I misunderstood you question

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
3:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I personally don't believe 32:1 is necessary and I believe to much oil is not helping anything.

I have changed ratios and tear down to see the results and for the oil in run 40:1 is plenty maybe even a shade much. 45:1 might be better. For me though and not everyone will have the same results.

Bad gas will get more than oil.