ZERO

Simple Life
GoldMember
Local time
9:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@HumBurner the trick to fast charging is disconnect when the last led is blinking. Up to about 3/4 any charger will do, last 1/4 where all chargers have to slow down, heat and cell over voltage, two big enemies.

I stopped counting, but about 400 full cycles with the QC80, 3 years on the 200, thus far no shortened life on the battery.

alfack

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like the Echo beats them all:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"Generates 70cc power"
"5.8HP peak power"

Whatever they are smoking, I want some too.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only battery saw I own is a micro saw with 24 volt lithium batteries .It does surprisingly well on small stuff .Bought from an E-commerce seller ,direct shipped from W W Grainger for $65 which was less expensive than what Grainger listed it for which was right at $100 . I can fill a garden cart up with one battery usually 2 to 3 inch stuff .Fuel for my fire ring on the patio where we solve the problems of the world while enjoying many cans of barley pop ..

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
3:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will any of these not do heat shutdowns? Biggest complaint with the little Makita I own. Thermal overload is a real PITA with it if you ask more than a little from it. Thought maybe I could just swap batteries when one gets 'hot' but then the saw itself is overheated. Nope, not dirty. Even cracked it open to make sure it was getting plenty of air. Have half dozen different batteries and it happens with any of them. Moreseo when ambient temps are above 80.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
2:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like the Echo beats them all:

No.

No it doesn’t. Different batteries. Different chains. Speed is only one factor.

Some of his ‘quantitative’ results are projections. Some of the poorest, purchasing choices I made were when I over emphasized certain factors.

Feel, durability, dealer / company support, other tools supported by the battery platform, etc.

Philbert

alfack

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They ran a bunch of different tests, in stock configs, and it stood out in every test. Plus, it's cheaper. What test do you think it would worse at?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
2:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
PF runs some fun tests, and has some innovative test methods. But that does not mean that they are comprehensive or the best metrics.

Are the chains the same?

I informally compared one chain against 2 others (similar pitch, gauge, type, manufacturer), on a battery saw, and it always cut faster. In softwood.

Later, someone asked me to try it again in hardwood. Cut slowest. Is 4x4, kiln dired, construction lumber what you normally cut?

Are you planning on large logs, like he does, with your battery saw? Or more like 6” - 12” - 14” limbs? Torque versus speed?

Is speed and battery life the only thing to base ‘best’ on? Other differences between a $159 and a $815 saw? Just mark up? Longevity? Repairable / maintainable? I’ve had a 50% battery failure rate with one brand.

Anything happened since December, 2020 in terms of battery powered OPE?

Might be things to consider, but not a ‘hands down’ proof, as much as a preference.

Philbert

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will any of these not do heat shutdowns? Biggest complaint with the little Makita I own. Thermal overload is a real PITA with it if you ask more than a little from it. Thought maybe I could just swap batteries when one gets 'hot' but then the saw itself is overheated. Nope, not dirty. Even cracked it open to make sure it was getting plenty of air. Have half dozen different batteries and it happens with any of them. More so when ambient temps are above 80.
My DUC353 , a 2x18Volt Brushless motor unit, does the overload/overheating shutdown thing.
It is the BL-motor control circuit that shuts down, so swapping out batteries does nothing!
In a production manner of usage, cutting up a pile of branches, I can get 2 sets of 3.0Ah batteries depleted, no more than 3.
I do not favor this unit!
The one and only positive side to this unit is You can get high capacity batteries, which on the other hand does not help when the unit shuts down due to overload/overheat.

Now my UC250D is a completely different story.
It is a single 36Volt battery system and it sports a brushed motor.
I have on several occasions depleted all 5 battery packs that I own through continuous cutting and the saw just kept running.
A brushed motor unit is both a curse and blessing!
There is no BL-motor control unit that may overheat and shut down - this is a PRO.
There is no current control unit to protect the battery pack from short circuiting so the brushed motor will draw whatever current it needs to keep turning and potentially cause the battery pack to overheat - this is a CON.
I love this little top handle saw!
Unfortunately there are no high capacity battery packs for this system (only 2.2Ah & 2.6Ah are available) and to top it off Makita discontinued/ABANDONED it.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
PF runs some fun tests, and has some innovative test methods. But that does not mean that they are comprehensive or the best metrics.

Are the chains the same?

I informally compared one chain against 2 others (similar pitch, gauge, type, manufacturer), on a battery saw, and it always cut faster. In softwood.

Later, someone asked me to try it again in hardwood. Cut slowest. Is 4x4, kiln dired, construction lumber what you normally cut?

Are you planning on large logs, like he does, with your battery saw? Or more like 6” - 12” - 14” limbs? Torque versus speed?

Is speed and battery life the only thing to base ‘best’ on? Other differences between a $159 and a $815 saw? Just mark up? Longevity? Repairable / maintainable? I’ve had a 50% battery failure rate with one brand.

Anything happened since December, 2020 in terms of battery powered OPE?

Might be things to consider, but not a ‘hands down’ proof, as much as a preference.

Philbert
The PF guy is a hoot!
You either have to take in 4 energy drinks before watching his videos , or You have to watch him in slo-mo. :p

Some of his test methods are weird & unconventional but he sure stresses things to their limit and goes into detail doing it.

I generally like his videos. :thumbsup: