Waste oil pump options

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This used to be Lima barrel and drum---https://ohiobarrel.com/ .However evidently things have changed over the years ,Drums were not that hard to find say 15 years ago and relatively cheap ,like $5 for a used steel drum .I'd bet the EPA might have something to do with this .Lima Ohio from Illinois is a pretty long trip just for a barrel or two .

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We’ve been using an SP41 milk transfer pump and a Leeson 2hp Washguard motor for a loooooooooong time to pump oil from 55gal drums into the bulk storage system. Also use it to empty the WMO IBC tote into the trailer “the used oil guy” comes with.

“The used oil guy” has a vacuum pump on his truck (old milk truck) that he uses to suck fluids out of anything into his tank.

You're a handy guy Bill, think you could rig up a vacuum vessel that can dump into that tote ? Or a vessel that can be put under vacuum that can hold a few hundred gallons ? No need to prime that system. Just turn it on and suck away. lol.

You could rig up a cheap vacuum pump to suck into an 80gal air compressor tank and have the drain piped into a valve with a pipe that runs into the 55gal barrel. Switch the hose from the vacuum side to the output side and you have a low pressure air compressor to pressurize the tank and push the oil back out faster.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oh I have done the entire craigslist deal looking for drums. What a joke. All I found was a few morons that were just playing games. One guy had excuse, after excuse. It went on for months. He always had some family "emergency" at the last minute.
Locally there are seasonal metal antifreeze drums from marine dealers that do a lot of winterizing appearing on Craigslist. Might these work if rinsed?

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Locally there are seasonal metal antifreeze drums from marine dealers that do a lot of winterizing appearing on Craigslist. Might these work if rinsed?
I am putting used oil in them so it does not matter to me what they had in them before.