Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Odd question, not sure where to ask it but I will try here. Has anyone got experience with pumping waste oil from bulk containers? I realize you can buy the cheap Chinese evacuation pumps but they are slow and will burn up. I have a few locations to pick up 300 gallon or more at a time and as much as I do not mind standing around shooting the breeze while a pump runs we got to get the job done to.. I told a real nice guy the other day the sun would come up and go down while my itty bitty pump ran and we still would not be done. I have talked to Fill Rite and Tuthill and they confirmed what I suspected and said do not use one of their fuel transfer pumps. I know it is an odd question but does anyone have any experience with this?

Boomer2230

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know your not going to like this answer, but look into a Vevor transfer pump.

If anything goes wrong they will send a new one.

Nothing lasts that long pumping WMO.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Give me a couple of days and I'll get the info .My bud Dave who is well known amoung Corvette and Camero circles has a waste oil system heating a 60 by 105 shop .I made him the system using a small hydraulic pump with a 1/2 HP electric motor for the transfer from large tanks to day tanks ..It is slow but his pick up system from barrels to a 250 gallon portable tank can suck a barrel full in about 3 minutes ..I think it's battery powered perhaps from a lift gate system . I think he has the capacity for 2500 gallons of black oil .I'll try to get him on the horn in a day or so if he's not out showing those hot rods showing off those custom cars some place .
As a side note Dave has a built up Camaro with a tube frame he built up .Took him 17 years .All aluminum body panels hand built with a 1/4" over bore and stroke using a Chevy 454 with a 671 GM blower and two Eliminator carbs .Over 1300 HP ,dyno .He has 40 grand in just the engine . I'd guess in his shop plus 4 bay garage he has at least 3/4 of a million in rare hot rod GM automobiles .Why too much for a miser like myself . I'm on the other end ,just rescue 50-70 year old rusty junk to run like they are brand new .

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Odd question, not sure where to ask it but I will try here. Has anyone got experience with pumping waste oil from bulk containers? I realize you can buy the cheap Chinese evacuation pumps but they are slow and will burn up. I have a few locations to pick up 300 gallon or more at a time and as much as I do not mind standing around shooting the breeze while a pump runs we got to get the job done to.. I told a real nice guy the other day the sun would come up and go down while my itty bitty pump ran and we still would not be done. I have talked to Fill Rite and Tuthill and they confirmed what I suspected and said do not use one of their fuel transfer pumps. I know it is an odd question but does anyone have any experience with this?
If you have a compressor, a double diaphragm pump may be what you need. Wilden and other make them.61TBfQPe+ZL.jpg

Mack 880

Happy to Stihl be Here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have a compressor, a double diaphragm pump may be what you need. Wilden and other make them.View attachment 420444

Seen that used to pump very viscous fluids, dirty fluids, etc. Uses a good bit of air and you will need a compressor you take with you.

Also, if you filter the waste oil later, you should pump much faster. Just get the right diaphragm for your fluid application.

WoodAbuser

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Been using one from these guys for several years. Mine is setup so I can filter thru two cleanable/reusable mesh filters for collecting WMO and WVO and with the switch of the valve pump what I have filtered thru a 10 Micron water block filter. Best of both worlds. Screens out all the bigger stuff upon collecting and gives the filtered stuff one more pass before going in my tank. They have them in 110 volt, 12 volt and Honda powered.

1Snowcat

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We used the exact pump posted above (Lnk) at the local Freightliner dealership (years ago) to move used oil from our dump caddies (owner had them made to wheel under trucks for changing oil), to transfer to the bulk oil tanks, it worked great!

Last edited:

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am going to do some additional calling around to see what I can find out. There is no doubt pumping "unknown" waste oil is a real crapshoot on what you run into. In the 1970's my father would bring home 55 gallon drums of what was supposed to be waste oil. Sometimes you got a drum that was half full of cutting fluid and solvents. Many times the oil was littered with cigarette butts. Of course today many things have changed and neither of those two issues will be much of a problem but you still never know what you will find.

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am wondering what the cfm requirements are

Reactions: Lnk

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The one I posted should run fine at 18CFM. Flow rate x .75

There are smaller ones also from other manufacturers. Used to use one from Alemite to pump Muratic acid through hot water washer coils to clean them. They can be a little spendy.

The redneck part of me says why can't a hydraulic pump from an old forklift or whatever be utilized? Shouldn't require much power as it would essentially be in constant bypass. Might sniff around on those a bit.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These drill powered water pumps are cheap, and will work for oil for a while.
They tend to be rated at 1500-3000 liters/hour.
At 15-20$ I suggest giving one a trial.

12~2.jpg

There are higher quality ones made out of brass available, at a higher price though.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This works too, 100-250$, up to 5000 liters/hour.

12 (1)~2.jpg

Neither of them are specifically intended for pumping waste oil, but they "can" do it.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never thought about just trying to couple a hydraulic pump to an engine. I wonder what actual horsepower a 28 GPM would require. I have a new 16GPM. My next question then is if they have the ability to run dry/self prime. I may have to talk with surplus center after the holiday.

Lots of good food for thought in the thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I called my buddy Dave .He has two,one is an oil pump from 350 Chevy ran from a drill motor ,rather slow but used to move oil from the big tanks to the .day tanks .What he uses from the pick barrels to the portable transport tank is a water pump with a 3 HP motor sold as a unit from TSC .However it has Viton seals rather than Buna-N seals because it's pumping oils . He says it will suck up 50 gallons of oil in about 3 minutes .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now then about a hydraulic pump from say surplus center .Remember you are not building any pressure like on a splitter for example .As such with a gasoline engine it would not take a very large engine .Probably an old 3 HP tiller engine might work .Cheap as dirt from Craigs list Briggs made millions of them .

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just wonder if the hydraulic pump will be able to suck/self prime.

Steelie90

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depending on the pump, it’s always best to prime or flood pumps on start-up. Some prime better than others with less damage/wear, gear pump would be your best option and you could incorporate a small hand primer pump. Vane pump will also but wear rather quickly due to heat buildup. A Piston pump definitely wouldn’t do as you’ll score the piston and eat the brass slippers. None of the above pumps are recommended for “dirty” oil.
That said your best option is probably the air diaphragm pump mentioned above with a 15-30 cfm compressor as they eat air..

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another hair-brain idea I just thought of is a simple roller pump. That would be easy enough to try. I could just toss it on a tractor and see if it will move oil. Now coupling it to an electric motor or gas engine........not so easy. We always filled them with oil at the end of the season but of course drained it before spraying.