NWP MS260 Build

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought @wcorey was working on something to cut the top out a little? His invention was pretty slick.

Point of this is that Al is sanding the band to closely match the radius of the piston dome rather than simply cutting it angled but at a straight line to more or less match.

Most any mandrel type of cutter could do the straight angle by tipping the cutting bit but a purpose ground bit would need to be made to get the radius. Easier to do it with Al's method unless you were doing a ton of them. Particularly when you would sand it anyway after mandrel cutting so to even up chatter marks that sometimes happen with that method.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK. I got you. But I knew you were developing that cool cutter. [emoji106]

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I can get a little more with a flat top because the exhaust can be dropped more. But even with a high exhaust, these saws can really run.

I do like the unaltered piston for simplicities sake though....

Couldn't agree more on the piston.

The flat cut I do buys me 3* more of exhaust roof, but its a ton more work.

The band match to the piston should bump the compression up more than a tapered band cut and keep the squish more symmetric. When I've cut on an angle, you get a tighter squish towards the chamber at a certain point.

More than one way to skin a cat for sure.

Is this because if you cut to get the exhaust that low with the domed piston the compression goes to high? Cutting the piston flat helps bring it down?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is this because if you cut to get the exhaust that low with the domed piston the compression goes to high? Cutting the piston flat helps bring it down?

Cutting it flat lowers the exhaust, but makes the base too thin for comfort sometimes.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been pondering this for a half hour...
if the piston is cut flat from the outside corner, and re installed in the saw, timing should stay the same, no?
Isn't increasing the distance from the top of the exhaust port to top of piston at TDC the only way to lower the exhaust?
I'm having trouble picturing how cutting it flat lowers it on its own.

The only thing I can think is if you consider the top angle of the piston aiming at the port, but I can't see 3 degrees.

What am I missing? [emoji848]

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to experiment for yourself Dan. It's the best way to learn and debunk any myths. To see it for yourself in your own eyes.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Lol

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what al and randy are saying is if you flatten the squish area on the 026 /260 you are adjusting the timing al did mine with a flat top piston and i also have a spare

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You got spares for the spares! Hoarder. Lol

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
if the piston is cut flat from the outside corner, and re installed in the saw, timing should stay the same, no?
Isn't increasing the distance from the top of the exhaust port to top of piston at TDC the only way to lower the exhaust?

The only thing I can think is if you consider the top angle of the piston aiming at the port, but I can't see 3 degrees.

It's easier to cut it flat and take that much out. As long as the edge is the same depth, the exhaust roof should stay the same.

The big issue here is that its an arc and not an angle. Conceivably, one could add a small cutter at an angle on the piston top to open the chamber a bit.

Opening it at the same arc as the dome should result in an even bigger squishband and a smaller chamber like you say Dan.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

You are only thinking about the piston. We also cut the squish band flat. Then the base has to be cut to set the squish clearance.

See?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to experiment for yourself Dan. It's the best way to learn and debunk any myths. To see it for yourself in your own eyes.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Lol

Ok Jeff... you are no longer allowed to ask about sq filed chain. You need to buy some and figure it out for yourself...[emoji12]

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are only thinking about the piston. We also cut the squish band flat. Then the base has to be cut to set the squish clearance.

See?

I do!
I thought that you were suggesting that just cutting the piston flat helped lower the exhaust on its own. I'm. It not sure how I arrived at that now that I read back through... lol.
Carry on!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
WTF is pot? Lol