Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was just about to make this one of those 3 for somebody else. I was dead set on sending this thing to the junkyard a couple of times.

I stopped driving it because they wanted to charge me luxury tax on it. It would have cost me more than the damn thing is worth.
They are quite flammable

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1o2wti1td3w41.jpg

41FanForLife

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe we need our resident tight ass Framer @Mastermind to comment but what is the deal with the perpendicular 2x6’s (2x8’s) ?

Everything here is done with engineered trusses and we don’t see that with our framing.
The 2x6 you see is the ceiling joists for the inside of the porch. They had lookouts nailed into that board to hold up the overhang soffit plywood. Then the rafters came down and sat on top of the lookouts. Not typical but understand why it was done that way. Ceiling joists only 12' run that direction.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trusses are relatively a new thing. Before I moved to Tennessee, I'd never seen a roof truss. We built everything with rafters. Another reason you see trusses rather than rafters these days is the skill it takes to build a proper roof has been mostly lost since the old timers have retired or passed on.
The days of being able to cut every rafter from the ground as a saw man, reading a framing square, speed square...is a lost art now for most. Laying out, cutting birds’ mouths, tails on simple gable rafters, hips/valleys, king rafters, jack rafters, bevel cuts, etc...some folks still frame like that...most around here run cantilever framed roofs.

Last edited:

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trusses are relatively a new thing. Before I moved to Tennessee, I'd never seen a roof truss. We built everything with rafters. Another reason you see trusses rather than rafters these days is the skill it takes to build a proper roof has been mostly lost since the old timers have retired or passed on.
i helped build a house a couple winters ago. rafters, dormers, french hips, the whole thing. was pretty cool, bit of a bugger slinging around 20’ 2x12s for the rafters tho haha. i dont do great with heights, so sheeting the second floor roof at 15/12 pitch was a little out of my comfort zone. but great builders to work for, lots of old school skill

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
3:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The days of being able to cut every rafter from the ground as a saw man, reading a framing square, speed square...is a lost art now for most. Laying out, cutting birds’ mouths, tails on simple gable rafters, hips/valleys, jack rafter rafters, king rafters, bevel cuts...some folks still frame like that...most around here run cantilever framed roofs.

I won a 100.00 from a contractor once on a bet. He said there was no way I could figure out the length of the jack rafters on a hip roof we were framing from the ground. I took that bet.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
3:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 2x6 you see is the ceiling joists for the inside of the porch. They had lookouts nailed into that board to hold up the overhang soffit plywood. Then the rafters came down and sat on top of the lookouts. Not typical but understand why it was done that way. Ceiling joists only 12' run that direction.

Interesting, I've been in a couple thousand framed houses in the last 20 years and everything here is engineered trusses so a "ceiling joist" is not something I have seen on any of the 100's a blueprints I see every year.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I won a 100.00 from a contractor once on a bet. He said there was no way I could figure out the length of the jack rafters on a hip roof we were framing from the ground. I took that bet.
I guess my little ‘thumbs up’ thingy didn’t post earlier...but thumbs up Monkey.

41FanForLife

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting, I've been in a couple thousand framed houses in the last 20 years and everything here is engineered trusses so a "ceiling joist" is not something I have seen on any of the 100's a blueprints I see every year.
It's been 20 years since I've been on a big time house framing crew. Lots of cut up roofs crazy big houses. Best was the hip roof onna octagon breakfast nook. Miss the residential work,love the union money !!!

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cranked up the fire-pit on the back concrete, burning little piddling *s-wordt and limbs, and some splits. Brought one of my Bose SoundLinks out...doing some Little River Band. Good tunes from the ol’ days.

Status
Not open for further replies.