Not open for further replies.

leadfarmer

Hot Rod !!!
Local time
3:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMHO I would be leary of a new Kimber or a Colt (less than 10-12 years old). Both companies have had quite a few issues with quality control over the past 10 years or so. Someone I am very close to was a Quality Control Engineer at Colt for quite a while; I wouldn’t spend that much for a Colt. Keep in mind the same COO who wrecked Kimber’s quality and production was hired by Colt. Just sayin..... Now stuff coming out of the Colt custom shop is much, much better but still needs to be gone over with a fine tooth comb. But then you are well above your $1k threshold.

Springfield, Dan Wesson, Wilson Combat, STI are excellent. Rock Island makes a pretty good setup in their higher end, Remington is also pretty darn good in the higher end. All can be had around or just over $1,000 with GOOD shopping, coupons/sales and oddball discounts. Don’t be afraid to contact the manufacturer and ask about blemish guns or display/demo guns. I like picking up demo guns as they are typically factory ‘upgraded’ to guarantee they don’t fail while showcasing. Any blemishes or wear marks makes me worry less about carry and use.

Also, use good magazines. I ran Wilson Combat 8+1 and have a couple odd ball 10+1 and 12+1 mags. I think they are older Dan Wesson.

Caveat to all the crap above: I snagged a low end RIA 1911A1 for $200. I slapped a Wilson Combat upgrade kit in, polished the trigger and a drop in Storm Lake barrel/bushing. All that was another $450. Had to fix the sights, but that was easy.

Just my $0.02.
Never had any problems with either one. Had a Taurus that wouldn't go bang every time sold that. One of my buddies bought a 10 mm and 45 RIA neither one can get threw a mag without a failure. He wont let me put good springs in it cause they told him it needs broke in. Light strikes has nothin to do with breaking in. I here what your saying about the Colts eventhough I haven't had any real problems and at the end of the day they stihl hold there value the best. Would definitely like a Wison or a Hawk but just over my pay grade. [emoji16]

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
well looky there its clitina
You rang?
d5f4f65aa0035b2ffde0192f53a633dc.gif

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMHO I would be leary of a new Kimber or a Colt (less than 10-12 years old). Both companies have had quite a few issues with quality control over the past 10 years or so. Someone I am very close to was a Quality Control Engineer at Colt for quite a while; I wouldn’t spend that much for a Colt. Keep in mind the same COO who wrecked Kimber’s quality and production was hired by Colt. Just sayin..... Now stuff coming out of the Colt custom shop is much, much better but still needs to be gone over with a fine tooth comb. But then you are well above your $1k threshold.

Springfield, Dan Wesson, Wilson Combat, STI are excellent. Rock Island makes a pretty good setup in their higher end, Remington is also pretty darn good in the higher end. All can be had around or just over $1,000 with GOOD shopping, coupons/sales and oddball discounts. Don’t be afraid to contact the manufacturer and ask about blemish guns or display/demo guns. I like picking up demo guns as they are typically factory ‘upgraded’ to guarantee they don’t fail while showcasing. Any blemishes or wear marks makes me worry less about carry and use.

Also, use good magazines. I ran Wilson Combat 8+1 and have a couple odd ball 10+1 and 12+1 mags. I think they are older Dan Wesson.

Caveat to all the crap above: I snagged a low end RIA 1911A1 for $200. I slapped a Wilson Combat upgrade kit in, polished the trigger and a drop in Storm Lake barrel/bushing. All that was another $450. Had to fix the sights, but that was easy.

Just my $0.02.
I agree but people get pissy about kimber and colt
My early kimber 1996-97 has been excellent.
Recent one's not always positive reviews.
Same with colt.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never had any problems with either one. Had a Taurus that wouldn't go bang every time sold that. One of my buddies bought a 10 mm and 45 RIA neither one can get threw a mag without a failure. He wont let me put good springs in it cause they told him it needs broke in. Light strikes has nothin to do with breaking in. I here what your saying about the Colts eventhough I haven't had any real problems and at the end of the day they stihl hold there value the best. Would definitely like a Wison or a Hawk but just over my pay grade. [emoji16]
Stihl makes taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.