Normal Ring Blow-by?

redtractor

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is this normal blow-by for 9 years of doing about 10 to 15 cords a year?

I pulled the jug off my 346xp(oe) for a base gasket delete. The piston still has the machining marks and the cyl is still cross-hatched so all I'm changing is the ring. For the first 3 or 4 years, I didn't know how to tune my own stuff and used crappy oil. Now its tuned sweet with FD rated stuff.

047.jpg

redtractor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the ring gap on the old ring ... Looks reasonable to me from what you described...
Gapped at .014 and had a breath under 180 psi. Is the healthy compression part of what makes it look like this? Muscling its way past?

If you would've asked me a few years ago to tear down such a strong saw, I'd have given you the strangest look!

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
.014 is still serviceable, but a new caber is only a few bucks. .006 to .008 or so is what the new ring should be. I think husky says .040 is the limit

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks normal as far as it being a 2 stroke. I'd be interested in the crown and underside of piston pictures too. It blew 180 before deleted gasket?

redtractor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks normal as far as it being a 2 stroke. I'd be interested in the crown and underside of piston pictures too. It blew 180 before deleted gasket?
Totally forgot about checking out the bottom. Pics tomorrow.

Yes, 180. I figured that was plenty as far as reasonable mechanical limits go but then found out what the ported ones are doing. I blame all of you. Bad influences, every one of you.

Last edited:

redtractor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
.014 is still serviceable, but a new caber is only a few bucks. .006 to .008 or so is what the new ring should be. I think husky says .040 is the limit
I work at a Jred dealer, so was going to flex my discount & get OEM delivered to my work bench. Literally.

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Gapped at .014 and had a breath under 180 psi. Is the healthy compression part of what makes it look like this? Muscling its way past?

If you would've asked me a few years ago to tear down such a strong saw, I'd have given you the strangest look!
Now the "in" thing is to switch oil daily and tear it down two times a day. Pics or it doesn't count.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The area above the ring is nice and clean which tells me that the area under the ring is like that from past sins. Clean it up with your favorite smelling volatile cleaner and reinstall.

redtractor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's no reason to change the ring with compression like that.
The area above the ring is nice and clean which tells me that the area under the ring is like that from past sins. Clean it up with your favorite smelling volatile cleaner and reinstall.
Even with the gap at .014? And I already have it in my hand since I had it opened up. It'd be a sin not to swap in a new one.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Even with the gap at .014? And I already have it in my hand since I had it opened up. It'd be a sin not to swap in a new one.
I agree since you have it in hand, forgot the end gap measurement but just like adjusting valves, you probably cant tell by performance if the valve lash is at the high or the low end of the range... My luck is I usually fix it until its broken but if you have one in hand put it in, its no more work at this point. Most never look that good, need replacing and still blow good numbers.

Last edited:

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
7:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Generally speaking yes...generally the ring needs replaced due to low compression.
The next oem ring you use is probably going to have the same gap. Whoever broke it in did it as good as you want to do it. You risk never pulling that high of compression again when you change it.
Keep in mind your saw is still almost new considering the hours they're built for and the amount of time you put on it doesn't total more than about two months worth of professional cutting.

Last edited:

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not normal. I HAVE posted pics of my very high hour 346 on the other site and the piston skirts are clean as can be.
It appears to me it got hot at some point based on the carbon under the dome.
The blown could be caused by cheapnoil, but more than likely poor ring seat when new or excessive ring wear.