Blindly Ported 034 Resurrection

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
5 years ago a logger buddy gave me an 034 he said blew up. I took it apart, did some minor repairs, and did some port grinding without taking any or going by any measurements - just going off some visual cues and ideas I accumulated in various places. I assembled it, and it ran pretty well, and held nice rpms in the cut. Here's a video I had posted then of it running. But it wouldn't idle down and I could not tune it correctly. You can hear the issue, and see me fiddling with the L jet.

It sat in the basement until a few weeks ago, when I finally decided to use the parts I got for it years ago - a Meteor piston, Caber rings, crank bearings, flywheel, and other stuff. I want to give it to another buddy of mine who helps me out on the farm a lot. It'll be his ugly truck saw.

So I split it and cleaned it. I found out why it wouldn't run quite right, lol. It looks like a small screw got jammed under the flywheel, and then poked a small hole in the case! I JB welded the hole, and hope it holds up. I installed the bearings (the plastic cage bearing is a bee-atch), seals, etc.

In the meantine, I printed myself up a timing wheel on my 3D printer, and decided to see what the heck I actually did with the porting job. I see that I had widened the exhaust, and didn't know if I raised it or not. I tonsiled the intake. I can't remember what I did to the transfers. Anyway, here are the numbers I got. I could not get TDC as I would have liked to with a piston stop, because I broke my 3D printed one on the Jonsered 920, trying to get the clutch off, lol. I got TDC by eye and caliper.
Exhaust: 102
Transfers: 127
Intake: 68

I have to find my small lead wire to get a squish, but I had done a gasket delete, so that's how it was measured. Also, at BDC, the top ring is just about level with the bottom of the exhaust port.

How did I do with the numbers? Any suggestions before I commit that jug?? Thanks.

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update: I printed a new piston stop to center my timing wheel for TDC. I also found my thin lead and did a squish measurement. The numbers are
Exhaust: 101
Intake: 71

Squish is .024

Looking forward to any comments and recommendations. Thanks.

president

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
5 years ago a logger buddy gave me an 034 he said blew up. I took it apart, did some minor repairs, and did some port grinding without taking any or going by any measurements - just going off some visual cues and ideas I accumulated in various places. I assembled it, and it ran pretty well, and held nice rpms in the cut. Here's a video I had posted then of it running. But it wouldn't idle down and I could not tune it correctly. You can hear the issue, and see me fiddling with the L jet.

It sat in the basement until a few weeks ago, when I finally decided to use the parts I got for it years ago - a Meteor piston, Caber rings, crank bearings, flywheel, and other stuff. I want to give it to another buddy of mine who helps me out on the farm a lot. It'll be his ugly truck saw.

So I split it and cleaned it. I found out why it wouldn't run quite right, lol. It looks like a small screw got jammed under the flywheel, and then poked a small hole in the case! I JB welded the hole, and hope it holds up. I installed the bearings (the plastic cage bearing is a bee-atch), seals, etc.

In the meantine, I printed myself up a timing wheel on my 3D printer, and decided to see what the heck I actually did with the porting job. I see that I had widened the exhaust, and didn't know if I raised it or not. I tonsiled the intake. I can't remember what I did to the transfers. Anyway, here are the numbers I got. I could not get TDC as I would have liked to with a piston stop, because I broke my 3D printed one on the Jonsered 920, trying to get the clutch off, lol. I got TDC by eye and caliper.
Exhaust: 102
Intake: 68

I have to find my small lead wire to get a squish, but I had done a gasket delete, so that's how it was measured. Also, at BDC, the top ring is just about level with the bottom of the exhaust port.

How did I do with the numbers? Any suggestions before I commit that jug?? Thanks.
with the bar and chain on it , the idle should come down some Marc
it sounds good !

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
with the bar and chain on it , the idle should come down some Marc
it sounds good !
Thanks! The patch in the hole in the case should help too, LOL!

BTW, I'll have the 920 up and running with your former cylinder in a day or two. I lent my tube of motoseal to one of my friends.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
10:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@drf256 is The Man on this chassis. If he's not too busy real life doctoring I'm sure he'll be along to help at some point.