ErnieG

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dietz no. 8 Air Pilot all shined up and filled with fresh kerosene. This is about as bright as my little Coleman Dual Fuel. I'm in the process of cleaning and refilling all my lamps and lanterns.

View attachment 361672
Spot a little Comet in the back ..love those!
Ernie

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I actually was using my lanterns as decoration in the shop. This thread got me going and I pulled them all down this morning to get them cleaned up and running again.

Thank you @Steve for the tip on the cheap amber globe. I just got mine in.

347DFA14-3A5D-445C-8DEA-AE62C7EFB7D5.jpeg

Last edited:

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I actually was using my lanterns as decoration in the shop. This thread got me going and I pulled them all down this morning to get them cleaned up and running again.

View attachment 361811

Nice! Got them all looking good again.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 361811

Is your Dietz a D-Lite model?

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is your Dietz a D-Lite model?

It sure is! Dietz #90 D-Lite.

It has been my lantern of choice for camping and cabin trips the past couple of years. It's silent and isn't harsh on the eyes. That was my annoyance with the Coleman's. This thread has got me going and I am going to play with the colemans again. I am interested to see how the amber globe does.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It sure is! Dietz #90 D-Lite.

It has been my lantern of choice for camping and cabin trips the past couple of years. It's silent and isn't harsh on the eyes. That was my annoyance with the Coleman's. This thread has got me going and I am going to play with the colemans again. I am interested to see how the amber globe does.

The frosted globes help with the intensity as well. And they look nice too!

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The frosted globes help with the intensity as well. And they look nice too!

Excellent! Would be worth the expense if it makes me want to grab a coleman instead of the kero lamps.

I wonder if there is a way to DIY a frosted globe. I'd not use original glass of course.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excellent! Would be worth the expense if it makes me want to grab a coleman instead of the kero lamps.

I wonder if there is a way to DIY a frosted globe. I'd not use original glass of course.

Just watch eBay for the frosted globes. Seems 40 bucks for a picket fence globe is average for the 288 size globe like the no bugs globe you just bought.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I am going to quote myself here but I found some info on DIY frosting. "Bill" from colemancollectorsforum.com

https://colemancollectorsforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=30070

"Speaking as someone who has abrasive blasted hundreds of lantern globes, I'd say try to frost it yourself. Etching cream like Armor-Etch won't work on Pyrex, so you'll have to go with abrasive blasting. I use 120 to 160 grit aluminum oxide, but you could probably use 80 grit. To make a Sears styled globe you won't need a vinyl stencil--just use masking tape to block off the outer ends of the globe. If you're using a newer, made in China globe, you might want to remove the stamped writing first. I've had fairly good luck removing the MIC lettering with Lime-a-Way. Keep the area wetted for 30 minutes, then go over it with some 0000 Steel Wool. Keep the area wetted again overnight, then go over it again with 0000. This usually gets rid of the lettering."

Bill also said 40-60psi

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am going to quote myself here but I found some info on DIY frosting. "Bill" from colemancollectorsforum.com

https://colemancollectorsforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=30070

"Speaking as someone who has abrasive blasted hundreds of lantern globes, I'd say try to frost it yourself. Etching cream like Armor-Etch won't work on Pyrex, so you'll have to go with abrasive blasting. I use 120 to 160 grit aluminum oxide, but you could probably use 80 grit. To make a Sears styled globe you won't need a vinyl stencil--just use masking tape to block off the outer ends of the globe. If you're using a newer, made in China globe, you might want to remove the stamped writing first. I've had fairly good luck removing the MIC lettering with Lime-a-Way. Keep the area wetted for 30 minutes, then go over it with some 0000 Steel Wool. Keep the area wetted again overnight, then go over it again with 0000. This usually gets rid of the lettering."

Bill also said 40-60psi

Interesting. I'll be right back...

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok this stuffs cool. Old man has a something or other in the attic. I might gotta check it out. I’ve got a camp oven I use once in a while. Other than that I just have some propane lamps. One busted all to hell in a bad accident I had years ago. It was in my toolbox.