New firewood rack

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
10:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been storing firewood at my house using pallets between trees or T-posts. It worked fine but aesthetically, was less than optimal. Last weekend, I decided to build something that would be less of an eyesore.
Here's what I ended up with. I was working alone and none of the feet are at the same elevation, so it took longer than expected. I still have to put the supports mid span on the stringers and need one more board on the left end. It's 16' x 4' x 4' on the high side and 5' on the low side. I'm going to use 2"x4" welded wire for the floor. Should hold 2+ cords. Hopefully, I'll only have to fill it twice this year.

If anyone else has pics of racks or sheds you've built, post them up.

image.jpg

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
11:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been storing firewood at my house using pallets between trees or T-posts. It worked fine but aesthetically, was less than optimal. Last weekend, I decided to build something that would be less of an eyesore.
Here's what I ended up with. I was working alone and none of the feet are at the same elevation, so it took longer than expected. I still have to put the supports mid span on the stringers and need one more board on the left end. It's 16' x 4' x 4' on the high side and 5' on the low side. I'm going to use 2"x4" welded wire for the floor. Should hold 2+ cords. Hopefully, I'll only have to fill it twice this year.

If anyone else has pics of racks or sheds you've built, post them up.

View attachment 36750
Looks damn good Steve...pre-drilled and lag screwed together as well as joist hangers it appears. Looks like it'll have ample air flow through the bottom as well.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks damn good Steve...pre-drilled and lag screwed together as well as joist hangers it appears. Looks like it'll have ample air flow through the bottom as well.
Thanks Jason, I want it to last more than a couple of years. My wife thinks I overbuild everything. If she was the one repairing and/or replacing stuff, she might think differently.

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
9:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Looks sturdy!

Do you tarp your wood? Or will you be adding a roof?

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
11:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Jason, I want it to last more than a couple of years. My wife thinks I overbuild everything. If she was the one repairing and/or replacing stuff, she might think differently.
So many times more than not throughout my existense, 'overbuilding' has been labeled my middle name...know exactly what you mean. I'm not gonna spend the time, money, effort once, to have to do it again in the near future. You got the right idea and plan. Again, looks damn good. You care about what you build.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's one that I use under my deck and made in my shop using 7/4 white oak. It holds about a half cord. I can take it down because only four bolts at the bottom hold it together. The rest is joinery:

I later added legs in the center when I noticed that even that oak sagged under the weight of the logs when full. I'm becoming lazy thee days. I seldom take it down in the spring.

My major stack is elsewhere, but I move logs here to dry off from rain or snow before I bring them into the house to burn.

Last edited: