High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl FS 91, Echo SRM-2620U, or Honda HHT35SUKA?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, so I need a bike handle brushcutter and I like the looks of the Stihl FS 91, Echo SRM-2620U, and Honda HHT35SUKA. The big attraction to Stihl is my side job shop is a Stihl dealer so I can get it for 15% off making it the cheapest of the three. But, I'm mostly an Echo guy and I know the 2620 is going to be a good machine. My stepdad has had a Honda 4 stroke weedeater for years and he totally neglects it but the darn thing keeps going. So, we can say Honda is definitely a good choice. Putting brand loyalty and price aside, is one really better than the other? Is the Stihl a 4mix engine? It looks awfully fat to be a 2 stroke. I'm not totally against a 4 stroke, I know the Honda version can take some serious neglect and abuse. But the Stihl version still requires mixed fuel and I don't see any advantages other than helping the manufacturer pass smog regs. I'm familiar with Echo and have a bunch of their machines, the Echo is about $120.00 less than the Honda.

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or, how about the Stihl FS 56 C-E? I know it's not proline, but it has nice price and I'm guessing it's a regular 2 stroke engine.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, our manuals genie Ray was kind enough to send me the parts lists for the FS 91 and FS 56. Looks like the 91 is in fact a 4mix engine although Stihl doesn't exactly like to admit it. Hmm, just not seeing the benefit to more moving parts and more complexity over a regular 2 stroke here but I'm open to change my mind. The FS 56 would only be like $243.00 out the door with my employee discount. I would rather go Echo, but all they have in that price range is the SRM-225U which is less than ideal for blade use. I know because I used to have one. Husky doesn't offer anything for under five bills and neither does Redmax. I know I sound like a big cheapskate here!

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the 56 have handle bar handles or just a regular handle? I have a fs55 fs46 hybrid thingy I put together about 15 years ago now. I greased the head bearings on it once and put about 3 china carbs on it. I believe since the day I built it it had a small air leak and never liked to return off full throttle to idle. I have been saying for 14 years now when it blows up I will swap the straight shaft onto my fs45... Hasn't died yet ran 2 tanks through it Saturday. I would get a fs55 any day of the week which I believe is almost identical to the fs56

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. Both the 91 and 56 have bike handles, which is what I'm looking for. I have 4 other weedeaters with regular handlebars. The 56 is a regular 2 stroke engine, 28 cc. I'm not going to cut down trees with it or anything, mostly just cutting overgrown weeds in areas I can't get the tractor or mower into. Advantages I see with the 91 are that Stihl indicates it is a proline machine so supposedly more rugged construction, solid driveshaft, and I would think the 4mix engine would have good torque.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stopped by the shop today. If I go Stihl, I think it's going to be the 91. Just feels a lot more sturdier and the solid driveshaft is a big plus. The mowing crew at my day job uses mostly Stihls of this type and they are not easy on them by any means. Gonna think about it awhile tho, see if the Echo dealer has any deals right now.

Kerfed

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have two 3020u Echos which are the next size up and have an older fs85 which is probably more ruggedly built than the current. Echo has been great except for breaking the shaft last year (covered under warranty) but it’s used violently for heavy brush clearing. I like the Stihl harness better and hardware for grass/brush blades, the Echo starts easily and is light. Ran a Honda 4stroke a while back and was surprised at the run time per tank but can’t remember if it was much quieter?

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks. Both the 91 and 56 have bike handles, which is what I'm looking for. I have 4 other weedeaters with regular handlebars. The 56 is a regular 2 stroke engine, 28 cc. I'm not going to cut down trees with it or anything, Advantages I see with the 91 are that Stihl indicates it is a proline machine so supposedly more rugged construction, solid driveshaft, and I would think the 4mix engine would have good torque.
If possible run both side by side, could possibly sway you one way or the other. Which brand has the better warranty support in your area?
can’t remember if it was much quieter?
Something I'm beginning to think about more, as I'm not always in an area that I can get away with a muffler modded machine.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No way to run both side by side here. I went ahead and ordered a blade kit for my Shindaiwa T242. Still planning to get an actual brushcutter, might be able to get a good deal for one off-season. Picking up some parts at the Echo shop on friday so I'll see what they have to say.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My brushcutter kit for the Shindaiwa 242 showed up and wow, it works great. I run it at half throttle most of the time, full throttle seems to overspeed the engine according to my ears. Currently has a 10" three point blade, going to order a 12" because it can certainly handle it. Only problem is the support sling is about 6" too short!

Kerfed

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These things are amazing. Have put countless tanks through running these and always impressed. 70EEB287-A973-410E-BDE4-51CDDF4A0C80.png