Poison growing up firewood trees

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
11:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is protocol here. I got into a pretty good dose of poison he other week. I only got a little bit on side where some chips blew into my jacket from neck area.

Haven’t cut the logs into firewood yet. Kinda waiting on that sh it to dry out (the vines). The vines are bigger around than a good sized thumb. Pretty much the entire length of several logs.

so what’s the answer to this. Y’all chop the vine off with an axe. Or just throw it in the pile figuring it’ll be long gone in 2-3 years when you go to burn it.

I’ve always peeled it off there but this time I’m not pre cutting the wood into firewood length. Brought them home on trailers

I was considering just leaving them on there. They should fall off eventually? Wood is cherry which seems to always retain its bark. For years.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you're sure it's poison, my opinion is to handle it once.
Poison doesnt dry out, it remains "poisonous" as its oil based poisons remain for years.
When I know I'm dealing with poisonous Ivys', I cover up, drop the stick, remove the stuff (usually with my X27) slice a few longer sections so I can roll the mains away from the Ivy left on the ground, then throw everything in the washer, shower, and use Tecnu, then have a cold one. Next day I'll buck them longer sections and everything else

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m damn near an ace when it comes to Identifying that sumbich. Sounds like I better chop them off

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
get the vines off, pile them in a sunny spot -UV light is about the only thig that breaks down the oil. Peel the bark off the fire wood and toss that to rot somewhere also. That oil doesn't burn but will vaporize if you burn the bark that can make for a very nasty experience. just recently a member here or on another forum ran into this on purchased splits. she is recovering but it is a long ruff road though.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with @Moparmyway. Do what you need to do to get the vines off all in one shot, drop clothes in washer and hit the shower. I use dawn dish soap. I'm really allergic, but as long as I take a shower within 3 or 4 hours with dawn, I'm good to go and I don't fret over it. I do fret when I can't take a shower.....

Just 3 months ago, we cut for two days, stayed that night in a cabin without running water. I never saw any ivy, but got-almighty that was the worst poison ivy I have ever had in my life. I had to go to the doctor for shots.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got into some 2 weekends ago. Never had it this bad. Normally it just kinda gets itchy then blisters and gone. This did all that but then hot real red anb blochy looking and supor itchy. Its finally almost through the second itchy stage so hope its done.
Ther is a bunch of bark still to clean up from it but my son can do that. It was his wood he sells. I was just helping him out by splitting it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a word of advice on the poison ivy. As @Moparmyway stated it is oil based. Good friend of mine thought he was good by pulling off the vines and then cutting it into firewood. Well, He burned in an open fireplace in the living room. He and his family both got lung infections from the air born oil residue when it burnt. It was nasty but no long term issues. Just a word of caution guys.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got it in my lungs stomach whole nine….. been there done that…. I think I’d the vines are off I’ll be fine in 2 years time. Was just checking. @slackinoff excellent suggestion on the dawn. I know for a fact if you get that oil off in a timely matter you won’t get the rash or any Ill effects. Dawn is a hella grease cutter so it makes sense.

I’ll peel it off with a hatchet. I get it pretty bad but as long as I see it I’m not really terrified of it.

just try to stay out of it best I can. Sometimes there’s no avoiding it. (Like the last clearing job I posted.).

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm lucky and don't react when I touch poison ivy, but I accidentally put some in the furnace last winter that was hanging onto an ash log, and it was painful to breathe. My brain finally made the connection the next day, and I made sure to get it all off of the rest of that stack before burning it.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I peeled it all off got it all split and stacked. Just an update fellas. Thanks for the heads up. I thought maybe it would be fine in a couple years. Not worth the chance

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am dealing with PI or something similar from customers chains mostly on my left forearm. Only thing I can think of because I haven't been any where near that stuff.
Nasty thing about PI stems and vines are worse for toxins than the leaves. hard to identify when no leaves unless you already know about a location. some 50+ years ago got nailed bad middle of winter with apx 2ft of snow on ground, must have walked through some and got from clothes.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am dealing with PI or something similar from customers chains mostly on my left forearm. Only thing I can think of because I haven't been any where near that stuff.
Nasty thing about PI stems and vines are worse for toxins than the leaves. hard to identify when no leaves unless you already know about a location. some 50+ years ago got nailed bad middle of winter with apx 2ft of snow on ground, must have walked through some and got from clothes.
“Fuzzy sum b it ch make your dik itch” I can nearly ID that stuff every shape and size. That’s how I try to teach people that are helping me. Usually has lots of small “roots” holding it onto the bark. The more hair it has the more likely it is to be poison. I get it pretty bad unless I’m hella careful

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know about vines but it also grows as a bush or just a lot of low under brush- its the under brush that can get you in the winter around my parts.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know about vines but it also grows as a bush or just a lot of low under brush- its the under brush that can get you in the winter around my parts.
I end up getting it too. Is the bush a sumac?

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Poison Sumac is in the family of poision oils but not the same genetics, Poison Oak is another. Then there are the stinging nettles and wild celery(or something to that effect) that just as bad or worse. I ve been nailed over the years by almost everthing plant based and most of the North american nasty creepy crawlers and those with wings & barbs on the tail end. About the only exceptions are Coral snake, Brown recluse spider and various Scorpions.