New belt impact drive sharpener

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
2:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I spent 7 years as a Groundman for the Best Arborist in our area, I sharpened all the saws, the Owner rarely sharpened after he taught me. To this Day I still enjoy Hand filing my chains!
I enjoy it too but my mild arthritis/carpal tunnel flares up if I do it too long. So tell me, what do you think of the pic I posted above?

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I enjoy it too but my mild arthritis/carpal tunnel flares up if I do it too long. So tell me, what do you think of the pic I posted above?
IMHO it looks really bad, and I highly doubt it will cut well at all. Many other alternatives exist that will give far better results. If I were looking at something like this I'd go for a Dremel type tool with a diamond bit.[emoji111]

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMHO it looks really bad, and I highly doubt it will cut well at all. Many other alternatives exist that will give far better results. If I were looking at something like this I'd go for a Dremel type tool with a diamond bit.[emoji111]
I agree and wondered if there was anyone here that would say it looks ok? Pretty frenched imo.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
1:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree and wondered if there was anyone here that would say it looks ok?
Question is whether someone can get better profiles with the tool if used differently.
I have seen cutters messed up with files, grinders, Dremels, etc., and others cleanly sharpened with the same tools. Is it the tool or the operator?

Philbert

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Other than the rakers probably getting in the way on fresh/long cutters, I don't see why it wouldn't be capable of producing the same angles as a file, or at least a 511 style grinder. "It" being the operative word.
Being so much faster than a file, it would be very difficult to pull off consistently without at minimum some sort of guide to keep that 20 percent or so of the belt radius above the cutter like file guides do.
Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to add a simple guide plate...

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A depth stop on a grinder enables you to set how deep into the cutter you want the wheel to go & prevents you going too deep. I don't always use this feature as I often especially on the RH cutters will watch with my eyes as to how deep I'm going. This contraption without any depth control means you needs to do it yourself all while not being able to see the side plate as you are running an impact 1ft+ over the top of the B/C. So I see 'why' they are getting poor results. It awkward, clumsy & will remove stock fast! Just too many negatives with this tool to overcome. I'm sure I could make a nice looking cutter, but I'd mess up quite a few getting there. IMO any jig or grinder tries to give the all important factor when sharpening saw chain...'consistency'.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You'll also never be able to get the proper profile with a belt, it will always be to large of a radius, and it will vary due to centrifical force. The more I think about it, the more I doubt this tool could produce a semi usable chain.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What a clumsy design, and they dare call it professional. :confused:

For those who have not watched the whole video, please do so and You will get a couple chances to see the gullet this sharpener generates as well how freaking dull that chain is prior AND after sharpening it with that contraption.
You can also see how much of the tooth is being ground away FAST, one will need much more chains utilizing this thing.
My main concern is angle and depth control having both hands busy holding the sharpener in one hand and a drill in the other.

I understand German perfectly fine, I was seriously tempted to mute the sound - ugh, I made it through the clip once!

If this works for someone - cool, good for You! ;)
I sure ain't giving it any second thoughts though.

Last edited:

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the concept has potential but the implementation here is lacking, almost like it was originally designed for another purpose and someone said "Hey, maybe we can sell it for sharpening chains..."
There are similar sorts of air powered hand held belt sanders available that are much more compact.

Maybe JMS could figure out a use for it as a porting tool, lol...

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's bogus without a guide.

It would be fine for zero or ninety degrees on the cutter face.

Mimic gimic imo but good for rocked chain maybe.

My little 12V job with a diamond burr, stone or hard roll would top that tool all day, everyday.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question is whether someone can get better profiles with the tool if used differently.
I have seen cutters messed up with files, grinders, Dremels, etc., and others cleanly sharpened with the same tools. Is it the tool or the operator?

Philbert
Yep, some people have a different idea of what a cutter should look like.
Pic was a grind on a friends saw. It was grabby and chattered like crazy. Cut, yes.
20170303_134819.jpg 20170303_134814.jpg

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, some people have a different idea of what a cutter should look like.
Pic was a grind on a friends saw. It was grabby and chattered like crazy. Cut, yes.
View attachment 233091 View attachment 233092
maybe you can give them lessons on how far down to bring the grinder
instead of them taking out the gullet
but probably the same results of the attachment in the video

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
1:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd be interested in giving it a try: see what types of cutter profiles are possible with it. See how easy / hard it is to control. Etc.
Might be better as a shop tool. Might be good for harvester chain, as @Skeans1 suggested. Might do depth gauges really fast.

Would need to log some time 'under the belt' with it to really know?

Philbert

OldJack

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
maybe you can give them lessons on how far down to bring the grinder
instead of them taking out the gullet
but probably the same results of the attachment in the video

It looks from here that his rakers are too low for that grind.