New belt impact drive sharpener

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its a lot of kit to be carrying in the field being you need a drill or cordless impact to run it. But I kinda like the idea, various grit belts could certainly make the cutting edge very sharp. In the small bit of the video I saw, it seemed easy to go too deep into the cutter resulting in too much hook, but that may have just been the guy using the tool. Hard to beat the rat tail file for size/price/effect but interesting for sure.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
7:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Belts are used on a number of knife sharpeners; might offer more grit / finish options. Trick is getting it in that tight space under the cutter top plate, without hitting the depth gauge.

Philbert

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Belts are used on a number of knife sharpeners; might offer more grit / finish options. Trick is getting it in that tight space under the cutter top plate, without hitting the depth gauge.

Philbert

Looking at their site it says it can do both at the same time with an attachment, have you looked around their site any they have some interesting products to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only benefit I see, resurfaces a cutter very quickly. With the pic below, I’m out.

View attachment 232496
I thought the exact same thing when closely watching the cutter they sharpened, not only would a chain like that be dangerous, it would perform terrible....its just NOT right & would not pass my Q.C and end up on one of my work saws. But... I 'think' like many other grinder/filing videos where similar results are achieved and touted as great, its the operator who doesn't know what the cutter should look like and doesn't really know what he's trying to achieve. As for Phil's comment on the 'eyeball' with regard to angle positioning, I thought I saw a knob on the jig that was some sort of angle gauge to regulate the top plate. But I may be wrong. It still involves a steady hand and would relies on the operator to get accuracy which we know is not always a great idea. The operator (while holding/running an impact) has to lean over the bar and direct this jig into the cutter easily going to deep which is what we have seen. He also controls the inner top plate angle which is an important one, so yeah..this jig really only offers a new abrasive option (sand paper). A grinder firmly takes the operator out of the equation for the top plate, inner top plate & even side plate to a degree provided the wheel is shaped right etc. A really good chain guy 'could' get good results with this albeit with great difficulty. You won't ever see the accurate consistency you get from a grinder. I still kinder like the idea of a belt sander like that, maybe if it was set up in a fixture like a grinder that holds everything in place would be better. Sadly I think this tool was created by another person who don't understand the finer details of sharpening chain & what's involved in achieving it. Too have cutters look like that in your Promo video shows those in the driving seat have little idea. To many big negatives for the one small non essential positive IMO.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
7:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. . . I thought I saw a knob on the jig that was some sort of angle gauge to regulate the top plate. But I may be wrong.
I thought that might be belt tension? I watched the video, but 'Ich verstehe nicht genug deutsch'!

Philbert

Last edited:

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its a lot of kit to be carrying in the field being you need a drill or cordless impact to run it. But I kinda like the idea, various grit belts could certainly make the cutting edge very sharp. In the small bit of the video I saw, it seemed easy to go too deep into the cutter resulting in too much hook, but that may have just been the guy using the tool. Hard to beat the rat tail file for size/price/effect but interesting for sure.
I'm a bit of a knife collector, my nephew is a huge knife collector has over 250 high-end knives. The belt sander type sharpeners are all garbage and give a horrible profile, and don't touch steel like M390 or CPM-S110V. The KME type systems are the only way to go, you get a true razor sharp polished edge. https://www.kmesharp.com/

Latest acquisition.
c6b54eb7b730db9ed4e4048787659285.jpg

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took a look at their site and the sharpening products look pretty decent, I like the axe kit they have which comes with 3 stones 120/240/320. Which is totally appropriate for 99.99% of axe needs but some of my heads that I've put some serious effort into I've sharpened the edge down to 3000grit. 320 is plenty.for splitting, bucking etc. But 3000+ and it will shave your arm hair smoother than any safety razor will. But those axes I have 'that sharp' are almost useless, I wouldn't dare take them to the woodpile to split crusty wood, they are mirror polished jewels that reflect as clear as a bathroom mirror but would grow surface rust in short order if left outside humid room for a day. Kinda useless if your not in axe competition but I put the hours into them so they'll stay wrapped up in cloth in there sealed container. Axe cad can be bad too and make you do silly stuff.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One issue I have with using the belts or any sand paper is it creates convex edge, which causes the blade to glance off of objects. A true polished edge should rust less without I'll the ridges and other imperfections that trap moisture.

The idea behind a double bit is to have one side with a more durable edge for general work and one real sharp for felling and chopping clean wood. Now a splitting axe is a different story.
edfd38323a54e442593448d06c837527.jpg

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This looks like a fancy fishing lure designed to catch fishermen and not fish.

I can see some noob carrying this into the woods and all the other crap they bring. Gizmos and gadgets. Once again, skill with a file can be just as fast and even just swapping chains to keep going and grinding at home.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This looks like a fancy fishing lure designed to catch fishermen and not fish.

I can see some noob carrying this into the woods and all the other crap they bring. Gizmos and gadgets. Once again, skill with a file can be just as fast and even just swapping chains to keep going and grinding at home.

I’m wondering if it’s not more for the guy running a harvester trying to finish a day out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag