Need splitter, which one?

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had the experience twice now. Only way I'd burn it would be to noodle every round. Any gum tree is about the same.

I noddle some of the twisted crotches, and stringy pieces of elm.

There's only Elm or Cottonwood where I live. Cottonwood is not the best firewood, so I just fight with Elm.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
11:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did the same thing with mine. Put one of those combo hour/rpm meters on it. Run it a RCH or two over 2k usually. Ran some elm through it recently and it just cuts through. Might have to smack it a couple times but at 2 seconds per who cares.
Yep, mine’s a Hardline HR-8061-2 hour meter/tach combo as well.

Last edited:

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
10:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

like-a-boss-meme-idlememe-9.jpg

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 22 ton Speeco is around 10 seconds, never timed it. Working by myself it seems plenty fast enough for me, working with two people it can be a little slow. Most of the time splitter is not making a full stroke, when wood pops, hit the return. If splitting shorts do the same, only return only far enough to turn log and split again. Seldom use full cycling. It has a BS engine and that piece of crap just keeps on running and starts easily for about 10 years now.
That’s what ours is and after a shot of ether at the first start up, it never fails to start. For whatever reason, the first start of the year you can pull your guts out and it won’t fire.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I've had the experience twice now. Only way I'd burn it would be to noodle every round. Any gum tree is about the same.
Where the tree has been growing has a lot to do with it. If the elm is a forest/woods tree they usually aren’t too twisted. Yard/field trees are pretty bad. At peak growth they grow fast enough to follow the sun and that causes some of the twisting.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 359454 Iron & Oak 30 ton hori/vert gets the job done .

Very nice machine, purchased mine used from the local rental in town that cycles through now and old machines every year. At 26 ton and Honda 270 with electric start, which they did not like because of the key getting lost so the machine was always the last to go out and went unused otherwise so it didn't have a lot of time on it. I did some basic maintenance to it and it purrs right along for me. For as cheap as I got this even if the motor needed replacement it still would have been a great deal and I'm pretty happy with it.
So if you can get into a better machine used, that could be an option for folks.
I see Oregon has a pretty nice looking machine with a Honda 270 engine on it.
https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/oregon-35-ton-log-splitter,-honda-gx270-(or35tho-1)/p/or35tho-1

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice machine, purchased mine used from the local rental in town that cycles through now and old machines every year. At 26 ton and Honda 270 with electric start, which they did not like because of the key getting lost so the machine was always the last to go out and went unused otherwise so it didn't have a lot of time on it. I did some basic maintenance to it and it purrs right along for me. For as cheap as I got this even if the motor needed replacement it still would have been a great deal and I'm pretty happy with it.
So if you can get into a better machine used, that could be an option for folks.
I see Oregon has a pretty nice looking machine with a Honda 270 engine on it.
https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/oregon-35-ton-log-splitter,-honda-gx270-(or35tho-1)/p/or35tho-1
Yea , Iron & Oak make a solid unit have no complaints, and hard to beat the Honda powered to , Oregon looks real good to.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea , Iron & Oak make a solid unit have no complaints, and hard to beat the Honda powered to , Oregon looks real good to.

Not likely to find a premium motor on a budget splitter, they just don't go together.

Just for the record you guys can G.F...Y........ with your fancy azz log splitters. My little 20 ton does it all and can be moved one handed with ease.

If you would just let go of your pig sticker long enough with the other hand you could have a big boy splitter like everyone else. Lol

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So rural king cancelled my order and refunded me. They called to tell me. So I went and bought the one I could lay my hands on at tractor supply. I had a couple of gift cards so it didn't hurt as bad. So now I have a 30 ton splitter. labeled an Oregon splitter. It has a Kohler engine, which I prefer over the Briggs. So my quest is over. Lunch, and then splitting wood for the rest of the day. Thanks for all the advice.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
So rural king cancelled my order and refunded me. They called to tell me. So I went and bought the one I could lay my hands on at tractor supply. I had a couple of gift cards so it didn't hurt as bad. So now I have a 30 ton splitter. labeled an Oregon splitter. It has a Kohler engine, which I prefer over the Briggs. So my quest is over. Lunch, and then splitting wood for the rest of the day. Thanks for all the advice.

Congrats Larry! I bet it will serve you well for many a year.