Husqvarna CCC Ebay Store DHS Online Store

Need assistance choosing a generator

Discussion in 'Mowers and More' started by ggraziano, Sep 6, 2020.

1. ggraziano

ggraziano New OPE Member

Local Time:
    4:45 PM
    I bought an alleged tri-fuel generator 8 years ago. It ran well on gasoline, but could not run well enough on propane to produce reliable power. I consulted with a guy who installs Generac whole house systems, and he claimed there was no way a portable dual-fuel generator would run well on propane. He said he only deals in whole house systems because they are designed to run specifically on propane or natural gas.

I left the 8 year-old unit with the house we sold, and we're about to move into a home in another state. I noticed (while browsing on-line) that there are a lot more portables being offered as dual fuel, and the power ratings are lower for propane than gasoline. Does anyone have knowledge/experience with these? Are they worth the money, or should I just resign myself to spending $5,000+ for a whole house system?

merc_man likes this.
  2. mh9162013

mh9162013 New OPE Member

Local Time:
    3:45 PM
    I did a lot of research on generators a few years ago and I recall hearing that a major issue with dual fuel (gas/propane) generators (portable, not permanently installed whole-house generators) was that operating on propane could dry out seals more than gas.

Boomhower and merc_man like this.
  3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper Pinnacle OPE Member

Local Time:
    4:45 PM
    If you have the money required for a whole house genortor to power up the thiungs in the house importnat to you, Well, fridge, freezer and a few lights tht is the way to go. But shop around, there are other companys that make whole house units other than genarac systems.
    My brother in laws said he saved over $1500.00 over the same size genarac system. even the trans fer box was less.

Al

4. redline4

redline4 I'm huge in Japan

Local Time:
    3:45 PM
    @Steve might have some knowledge on the dual fuel generators. I know he works, or did, on a bunch of units.

merc_man likes this.