not as dumb as the hd2 gasket delete and timing advance on every saw thing

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@MustangMike what was the lowest 044 weight dry pho with the chain cover attached? What did it grow to by the time the 440 finished?

I have seen a published # (by Stihl) of 13 lbs, but I don't think it was accurate. Seen a pic of one on a scale that was under about 13 + 1/3 lbs. Later on, they were +/- 14 lbs.

I believe the 10 mm saws were the light ones, the 12 mm saws had a beefed up crank and heavier duty rod (larger bearings on both ends). Added steel adds weight fast, so a lot of the increased weight was to make it stronger.

Also, as they choked back the muffler, they had to add a steel heat shield which adds a few ounces. I removed the one from my 440 when I opened up the muffler.

The 462, with a weight of just over 13 lbs, puts it in the weight class of most 60 cc saws (and better than some) with over 72 cc in size. It is amazing, and as mentioned a refreshing change in the right direction. I am anxious to see how the new Husky saw compares, the bar has been set high.

The reason they compare dry powerhead weight is so there is no penalty for adding fuel capacity. Let's face it, you don't have to fill it up (although I always do).

I would also like to see fully fueled & B&C weight saws. The problem is, unless thoroughly cleaned, the crud on most saws adds several ounces.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
not as dumb as the hd2 gasket delete and timing advance on every saw thing

Got no bone to pick with you Dallas, but any time you want to run an un ported 70 cc saw against one of mine, I'm game. Won't say they are the best, but they don run darn respectable for un ported saws w/o any machine work.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
4:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your Dad's guys. Very important to be a good dad and good role model for your children.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Very true.

I hope to be here for my grandkids for a long while.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Son in Law, the father of my 3 grand kids, had a serious heart attack and has a defib and is only 42 now. He also has not quit smoking, so I want to stay around for my Grandkids, cause I can not predict his future.

When I was young I had all my Grandparents and a Great Grandmother. I'd like to try to return the favor.

My Grandfather purchased BB guns for my brother and I for Christmas over my parent's concerns. It was a game changer, I shot that thing endlessly. My other Grandfather taught us how to tune a carb, set points, and work on engines, something my Dad did not know how to do.

I have been involved (and plan to continue) with teaching my Grandsons bike riding, archery, BB & Pellet guns, and using hatchet's & knives.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then Go Get Fixed, Hard Head.

Meh.......I'm doing a lot better.

Had to stop wearing boots. Got some Merrell lightweight hikers (Arch support and lightweight) and have been feeling very well. I chatted with Al about that (I thought it was odd that different shoes could make that much difference) and he was not surprised. With a groin injury, stuff like that really matters. I still fully intend to have an MRI done when I sell my calves this spring, or if I start getting in serious pain again. But.......for now I feel pretty damn good.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Son in Law, the father of my 3 grand kids, had a serious heart attack and has a defib and is only 42 now. He also has not quit smoking, so I want to stay around for my Grandkids, cause I can not predict his future.

When I was young I had all my Grandparents and a Great Grandmother. I'd like to try to return the favor.

My Grandfather purchased BB guns for my brother and I for Christmas over my parent's concerns. It was a game changer, I shot that thing endlessly. My other Grandfather taught us how to tune a carb, set points, and work on engines, something my Dad did not know how to do.

I have been involved (and plan to continue) with teaching my Grandsons bike riding, archery, BB & Pellet guns, and using hatchet's & knives.

I can barely remember my dad's father. I was the youngest of my siblings, and by then time I was born, my grandparents were either gone......or very old.