MS250 Help!!!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine has a ZAMA carb, no limiter on the low, and I modded the Hi today.

Also put the engine back together & glued the intake boot.

Have an appt tonight, will work on it more another time.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have done 2 of these, make sure you have replaced fuel line and impulse line

More frustration, guess I will have to follow your advice.

The saw seemed low hour, so I did not think replacing them was necessary.

Vac tested the motor this AM, and it passed.

So I put it all together, popped on the 6 pull, has good compression, but only seems to run on choke, and die as soon as I take choke off. My guess is the fuel line is pinching, but if anyone else has a better idea please let me know. Don't think the carb could be that out of adjustment, I could see if it just would not idle.

Any ideas are welcome. I'm very frustrated with this little thing! (Tried different plug & fuel filter).

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think the tank vent would make it do this right off the bat.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
More frustration, guess I will have to follow your advice.

The saw seemed low hour, so I did not think replacing them was necessary.

Vac tested the motor this AM, and it passed.

So I put it all together, popped on the 6 pull, has good compression, but only seems to run on choke, and die as soon as I take choke off. My guess is the fuel line is pinching, but if anyone else has a better idea please let me know. Don't think the carb could be that out of adjustment, I could see if it just would not idle.

Any ideas are welcome. I'm very frustrated with this little thing! (Tried different plug & fuel filter).

Mike, Check the impulse line for cracks or maybe loose. we're getting air from somewhere..

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll get a impulse and fuel line and see it that solves it. I'll also re vac test it and make sure it is still OK. The impulse looks good, and I got it on the handle pretty well. The rest of it was tested during the vac test.

Was psyched when it passed the vac test this morning, I modded the muff (tough on this one) advanced the timing and modded the carb limiter, AND THEN IT WOULD NOT RUN!!!

I'll get it, but this little thing is being a PITA!

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
12:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mike, is this is a rather new saw? I assumed it was, so I failed to tell you that I had to replace the crankcase seals on a vintage 025 with similar problems. One of the seals had crumbled and that makes it impossible for the engine and impulse hose to talk to the carb. The carb becomes a deaf mute.

Once that seal was replaced, it ran like a dream. Of course, that means taking the saw almost completely apart -- a typical 025 requirement.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
THANKS ANGELO ... MY STUPIDITY, IT RUNS

I did not touch this saw since Wed, but Angelo's words kept ringing in my ears, you have an air leak. I knew the engine passed the vac test, so it had to be something else.

I woke up a 4:00 this morning sure that I had figured out the problem, I had to feed the rubber intake boot through the metal plate ... WRONG. I took the carb off and realized everything was assembled correctly, but everything also interferes with the carb, install the control lever, and the fuel line hits the carb, ditto linkage for throttle & choke.

So I re assembled the carb w/o anything hooked up (control lever out, choke & throttle linkage off, fuel line disconnected), and made everything very tight, then re connected everything.

IT RUNS!!!!!! Just a little adjustment to idle screw and everything is fine, I feel relieved!

The limiter on the Hi had been modded, muffler has been modded, and timing advanced. I'd be lying if I said the saw impressed me, but I did what I could!

Getting the muff apart & back together was not easy, but now the baffle has holes on both sides, the 3/8 hole is now 1/2", and the louvers have been opened quite a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20170614_110944222.jpg
    IMG_20170614_110944222.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20170614_114325865.jpg
    IMG_20170614_114325865.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 18

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I did not touch this saw since Wed, but Angelo's words kept ringing in my ears, you have an air leak. I knew the engine passed the vac test, so it had to be something else.

I woke up a 4:00 this morning sure that I had figured out the problem, I had to feed the rubber intake boot through the metal plate ... WRONG. I took the carb off and realized everything was assembled correctly, but everything also interferes with the carb, install the control lever, and the fuel line hits the carb, ditto linkage for throttle & choke.

So I re assembled the carb w/o anything hooked up (control lever out, choke & throttle linkage off, fuel line disconnected), and made everything very tight, then re connected everything.

IT RUNS!!!!!! Just a little adjustment to idle screw and everything is fine, I feel relieved!

The limiter on the Hi had been modded, muffler has been modded, and timing advanced. I'd be lying if I said the saw impressed me, but I did what I could!

Getting the muff apart & back together was not easy, but now the baffle has holes on both sides, the 3/8 hole is now 1/2", and the louvers have been opened quite a bit.

Wayyyy to go Big Mike !!!
Now yer a "clamshell" xpert....

next up.....

200t handle linkage and muffler repair classes

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

May be a test video?
I am glad it all worked out. Your story reminds me of a similar one of my own.
Thanks for posting.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It runs, and has good manners, but a video of this saw would bore you to death!

But I'm thinking, a low restriction intake could wake it up!!!

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
12:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, Mike, I now have an MS251C on board that I bought from a widow who's husband past away suddenly from a heart attack. It has the spring-loaded easy start mechanism that tends to drive me bonkers. It also floods easily.

Her late husband never mastered it and even paid a dealer $50 for a new spark plug and an analysis that revealed nothing. However, I have it running OK and may keep it. It will likely make it to the Trading Post. Original price with tax: $430.