Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
3:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI to everyone my other 395 had same markings in same exact spots as this one, so it is normal and probably part of the tooling/casting process.
No way ........ more like probably a result of splitting the case and removing the crank to replace bearings, then re-installing.

Mason, I've got a brand new, untouched 395 ......... how much do you want to bet that mine doesn't have those marks ?

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No way ........ more like probably a result of splitting the case and removing the crank to replace bearings, then re-installing.

Mason, I've got a brand new, untouched 395 ......... how much do you want to bet that mine doesn't have those marks ?
Disassemble it and check it out amigo :)

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know why but I love it when Scott posts workshop pics. I think it reminds me of the good times I had workin' in the old Stephens-Adamson machine shop.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to be a richard, but can one of you fine gentleman circle said mark in the formentioned picture? With little sleep in recent days I'm betting I might be missing what we are looking at.

Also, how can you guys tell the bearings are crap from the video? Not being critical, literally asking. I'm a little hard of hearing, maybe I can hear it with my ear buds in?

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
8:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to be a richard, but can one of you fine gentleman circle said mark in the formentioned picture? With little sleep in recent days I'm betting I might be missing what we are looking at.

Also, how can you guys tell the bearings are crap from the video? Not being critical, literally asking. I'm a little hard of hearing, maybe I can hear it with my ear buds in?

I believe it's this is the mark in question,image.jpg

super3

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI to everyone my other 395 had same markings in same exact spots as this one, so it is normal and probably part of the tooling/casting process.

Nope.

I been through a couple dozen of these saws along with a new out of the box yesterday.

That is not an OEM knotch.

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

This one was leaning forward a bit, rather than sideways Scott?
Is that Bradleys that Jason did?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's one way to keep the intake duration down.

:D
FWIW,

Jason was sanding jugs assymetrically on purpose on certain saws. Front to back, for exactly the reason Deets brought up + transfer height. His theory was intriguing and wasn't necessarily that hairbrained. If it had been done on a mill precisely, it may have worked out just fine.

Like most things, it's was the execution of his ideas that was the problem (and the end result).

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW,

Jason was sanding jugs assymetrically on purpose on certain saws. Front to back, for exactly the reason Deets brought up + transfer height. His theory was intriguing and wasn't necessarily that hairbrained. If it had been done on a mill precisely, it may have worked out just fine.

Like most things, it's was the execution of his ideas that was the problem (and the end result).

Unless I'm still half asleep... I don't believe that would work. Piston rides in the bore so the base being cut on a forward lean would not effect timing at all. It would simply lower the jug timing wise, half of the distance of the difference between front and back.

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless I'm still half asleep... I don't believe that would work. Piston rides in the bore so the base being cut on a forward lean would not effect timing at all. It would simply lower the jug timing wise, half of the distance of the difference between front and back.

Baffles me a bit too. Never tried myself.

I just know that these motors are a puzzle and very often things don't turn out like one would think.

I agree with you, the piston crown is still perpendicular to the bore. Jason said it made a difference, for what that's worth.