Milling in freezing weather

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
has anybody ever milled when it's freezing outside? I have some cedar I need to mill down to 1 inch thick slabs for shelving and am thinking about doing it today, the weather is showing about 17° today and negatives at night for a few days, do you think it would be a bad idea to mill it in this weather?

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
has anybody ever milled when it's freezing outside? I have some cedar I need to mill down to 1 inch thick slabs for shelving and am thinking about doing it today, the weather is showing about 17° today and negatives at night for a few days, do you think it would be a bad idea to mill it in this weather?
Not at all. Warm up the saw before starting, milling is hard on a saw, cool temps will help keep the saw cooler. Just make sure you stop if it don't sound right. I usually take my time when milling and not overwork the saw. Let it idle after every cut.

blackbruin

Heeeeeeere's Johnny!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Send it. Youll be fine. Only thing i would worry about is usibg a thin or winter weight oil. Or leaving your bar oil next to the woodstove before you take it to mill. Leave the jug in a heated truck etc.

Reactions: Lnk

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thanks for the replies, I went and cut a few pieces, i used 10w30 for bar oil and it oiled great, ran a couple of the pieces through the planer and now going to let them sit for a few days before i finish them, I was a lil worried about the ice on the logs but it didn't seem to make a difference

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thanks for the replies, I went and cut a few pieces, i used 10w30 for bar oil and it oiled great, ran a couple of the pieces through the planer and now going to let them sit for a few days before i finish them, I was a lil worried about the ice on the logs but it didn't seem to make a difference

You will need to bring the moisture content down before the lumber can be used. If air drying you need to allow 1 year for every inch of thickness. If you fail to properly dry you will likely end up with splitting and cupping.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a couple of western red cedar blowover, last winter I cut them into 8-10 foot lenghts then I painted the ends with a couple of coats of old latex house paint, I milled a few already to 1 1/4inch thick and left them in my shop overnight and sealed them the next day and they have worked fine for all the bookshelves.