Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just have the echo 490 would it be worthwhile to only enlarge and blend the exhaust I've already pulled the limiters and gutted the muffler which helped a lot or can only good increases be had by cutting the base and squish and grinding the transfers.

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
4:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just have the echo 490 would it be worthwhile to only enlarge and blend the exhaust I've already pulled the limiters and gutted the muffler which helped a lot or can only good increases be had by cutting the base and squish and grinding the transfers.
Well let's get some final numbers before we answer that. I do know the base and squish cut are gonna help a lot in the torque deartment. But i also feel just opening the trans maybe helpful as there not matched well with the cylinder to begin with.

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
3:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Carl, what is saw #1 muffler like?

Could you swap saw #2 muffler on saw number 1 for a test?

I think raising exhaust and transfers incrementally is good. I think you need more exhaust so the saw will turn up.. I wouldn't be afraid to take it up to 102-103 And run 20-22 blowdown because of the super long intake. You can always raise the transfers later.

One change at a time for testing.

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carl, what is saw #1 muffler like?

Could you swap saw #2 muffler on saw number 1 for a test?

I think raising exhaust and transfers incrementally is good. I think you need more exhaust so the saw will turn up.. I wouldn't be afraid to take it up to 102-103 And run 20-22 blowdown because of the super long intake. You can always raise the transfers later.

One change at a time for testing.
Saw 1 just has the baffle removed and deflector opened up. It's at about 55%.

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
3:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Did you swap mufflers and test saw #1 today?

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All right boys. I wanna appoligize as I didn't get picks but I got run time on both saws tonight. Saw 2 is now the stronger saw. I made 3 changes to it and 1 to the saw 1. So here we go. And my vids turned out crappy so I'm not even gonna bother to download. Well work on the next vid.

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw #1 I gave it a dual port muffler. That's the only change. It's running about 85% now.

Saw #2
1) raised the exhaust to 108
2) raised the trans to 124
3) I opened the exhaust outlet

On step 3 the exhaust was getting pretty big so I lowered the top and bottom about 1 mm each. Then blended back to my opening. This saw with a light load letting it do it thing will now bounce around 11800-12000. And is starting to sound like it should. Before it was sounding like it was being held back. I can't explain this. You can just tell it's not living up to its potential yet.

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took a stock 036 stihl along for the ride. To give a judge of how these are running. They will out cut a stock 036. I'm not done so hold onto your britches. I am very happy with saw 2. I know there's more there but I can live with where it's at so what I'm gonna do know is tear saw 1 down. Give it the same numbers but epoxy the intake and set it at 60% width and set the numbers at 108/124/75.:)

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let's talk about the changes brother Carl.
My ears are open what ya thinking? At this point I know there's more in this saw. I know I should probably match the the numbers and see if just widening the intake makes a difference. Notice I said should. Lol. Give me you thoughts my man!