Miller Mod Saws and the CS-500P Echo!

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
6:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man with Home Depot selling these there will be a metric chit ton around.Sooner or later probably find one for a few bucks not sure would want one seeing how they are stock.It's a good thing for the rest of us we got some of the best guys on it.:roto2cafe:

Last edited:

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
4:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Both saws look gay, but saw two was certainly a lot stronger

I asked my longtime dealer about the 500P - he told me to stick with my 488's unless I wanted to be disappointed. This oak with a 20" bar was sure a tall task for the stock saw - that's 60cc territory.

it's more impressive when you actually use the saw like I think it should be. Much faster and torqueier when you using it for little stuff.

Carl, I agree. The 50cc saws are just not set up for bucking much more than a 12" log with a 16" bar. With the extra reach of a 20" bar, they are dandy for cutting up tops.

110/125/ and the intake I widened to 55% and just slightly blended down. Exhaust is 65% width. Muffler mod is just the tube removed with the front of the oem deflector opened up.

Saw #2 after running this one I'm not sure where I'm going add just a little more comp. I know that. I'm gonna shorten up the blowdown I know that. The exhaust I'm thinking of leaving it a tad lower and I'm really considering epoxing the intake. Maybe go with 112/124/75 with a normal square intake. Gain some more case compression.

When all your testing shakes out, I think you'll settle on more blowdown and a higher exhaust. Likely a shorter intake duration as well.

I would pick a test log - say 12"-14" range - and then make a reference video with the stock saw and modded saw both running an 18" bar.

Then, I would pull this saw apart and bring up the floor of the intake to around 72 or 73. Test again.

Then I would raise raise the exhaust up incrementally to 105, then 102.5, then 100. Testing after each one. You can always drop the jug and cut the squish a fudge if you go too far.

Then you can raise the transfers incrementally if you want to as well.

I think the long intake with short blowdown is hurting this saw.

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
4:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
That was more what I was thinking. Go to 105 or so.

I was replying when you posted...definitely thinking higher exhaust and more blowdown will help! If he wants a limb saw, even taking it past 105 wouldn't hurt.

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
5:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was replying when you posted...definitely thinking higher exhaust and more blowdown will help! If he wants a limb saw, even taking it past 105 wouldn't hurt.
No limbing saws here. We want pure grunt. Lol. This new saw is actually an older gentleman's that needs a light saw to do all his main cutting. So an 18" bar buried saw is what I'm after on his. May even see if I can add a decomp for him. They don't start all that hard but if I can make it easier I will. Now mine. It's all about the experiment.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
http://www.yamabiko-corp.co.jp/echo_global/products/category/contents_type=26

I understand that the 500P is basically the same as the 500ES. The newest entry in 50cc is the 500SX, that is listed with a somewhat decent power output.
The plastic looks and feels just as cheap and brittle though, with sharp corners....

Did you mean 501sx troll?

Carl looks like you got a little more play on this build over here than @ FHC. I'd be interested to see how echo squeezed the extra ponies out of that 501sx. Wonder of its got a flat top piston in it.

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you mean 501sx troll?

Carl looks like you got a little more play on this build over here than @ FHC. I'd be interested to see how echo squeezed the extra ponies out of that 501sx. Wonder of its got a flat top piston in it.
I hope so cause this forum is where most of my posting will be. This will be home.
And an awesome home it's starting out to be. Thanks Bruce!

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya just got some new into try. Got some morso/edelbrock 2 part that's supposed to be designed for there aluminum heads. See how it is compared to devcon.
Epoxy that intake and make it as wide as you can.
See how it goes. Then like Mike was saying, raise ex in steps to find it's happy place..
Also, running .325 on a 20" bar is for smoothness in limbing, operator's convenience, and reach. Not speed for sure. The design sucks the power out of a saw, as it wallows in it's own debris, so it's hard to really narrow down improvements.
I like my 500P, but it sure ain't a speed demon.
Seems you got good torque gains out of victim #1 though.
Let's see some rpm's out of #2!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Epoxy that intake and make it as wide as you can.
See how it goes. Then like Mike was saying, raise ex in steps to find it's happy place..
Also, running .325 on a 20" bar is for smoothness in limbing, operator's convenience, and reach. Not speed for sure. The design sucks the power out of a saw, as it wallows in it's own debris, so it's hard to really narrow down improvements.
I like my 500P, but it sure ain't a speed demon.
Seems you got good torque gains out of victim #1 though.
Let's see some rpm's out of #2!

Good post Matt.

I've got one to do too. I'll be sure and get good before and after vids and add them here.