Meteor piston/ cylinder kit for 026 issue

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
2:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been down this road before, it will be tight, about 0.018" IIRC, but a Meteor Cylinder kit will work with an OEM gasket and the one I had at least was a strong runner.

I'm just going off what I've read, I have no data to back it up, but Meteor is the only option if not OEM as far as I'm concerned.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Known issue with a recent batch of Meteor Cylinders. They are aware of it. I actually had a distributor send me one to play with.

They're all cast in China in the same foundry as many others. Meteor does the finishing in Italy. This includes a thickly plated band and chamber which, as Pat eluded to, can't be sanded. It can be modded on a lathe with a carbide cutter.

You shouldn't have to deal with faulty parts. If they offer you a generous refund, you could try multiple base gaskets, but the jug timing will be affected.

Hyway makes good stuff, Huztl not as good. NWP makes the best AM 026 jug I've seen all around.

Your best bet is to get a full return and a used oem jug with a new Meteor piston. Put an add here and wait for one.

You might even find one from a guy that would mod the base and band for you for better performance, and still be under the cost of your meteor jug.

@Definitive Dave

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there any way that the piston top could be modified to have a little material taken off the top? That may be a solution, albeit maybe not the best, but a solution.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Known issue with a recent batch of Meteor Cylinders. They are aware of it. I actually had a distributor send me one to play with.

They're all cast in China in the same foundry as many others. Meteor does the finishing in Italy. This includes a thickly plated band and chamber which, as Pat eluded to, can't be sanded. It can be modded on a lathe with a carbide cutter.

You shouldn't have to deal with faulty parts. If they offer you a generous refund, you could try multiple base gaskets, but the jug timing will be affected.

Hyway makes good stuff, Huztl not as good. NWP makes the best AM 026 jug I've seen all around.

Your best bet is to get a full return and a used oem jug with a new Meteor piston. Put an add here and wait for one.

You might even find one from a guy that would mod the base and band for you for better performance, and still be under the cost of your meteor jug.

@Definitive Dave

When i let Meteor know about the issue, they said they were looking into it and asked me to send back a cylinder a customer returned to me for a refund.
Normally the distributers just ask for picture of defective goods and tell us to throw it away.
I have a half dozen on a shelf but they wont be for sale until Meteor lets me know what's up.
If I ever get off my ass and get them listed, i have pistons and cylinders for several new models from Meteor - MS261, MS362, MS441, MS461

71dart

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had the issue on a meteor 026 kit where , in the cylinder, where the combustion chamber and squish band meet, there is a bead or ridge that sticks down into the cylinder, past the squish band. I ended up sanding it out but you shouldn't have to do that on a brand new 'quality' top end.